22 - A Gift

Jade

The room was spinning like a kaleidoscope. Light reflected off the disco ball that was strung up in the ceiling.

"Why is this here?" I waved a hand at the whirling ball, tracking the light that splayed over the ceiling. Taylor laughed, husky and low. But the look of amusement was shared with Wings, not me.

"In Ninja Fighter–Assassin Returns, he uses a disco ball as a bomb and rigs it to explode in new years. The cinematography is amazing." She explained, her eyes slightly unfocused. She wasn't looking at me, anyway, leaning in towards Wings while he twirled a lock of blonde hair around his finger. He smirked, hand drifting down her back.
"Cool story." I drawled, clicking my tongue when she didn't respond. It was good natured. It was Taylor's birthday. If she wanted to get drunk and canoodle at her birthday party, who could blame her? And if my chest ached at their sickeningly sweet lovey dovey bullshit, that was a me problem. I pushed off the couch, thankful that leather was a big part of the ninja franchise. It meant I could wear one of my leather harnesses and still be in costume. I pushed off the couch, wobbling slightly as I made my way to the bathroom. Bass thumped through my veins and I floated into the small room.

Uh oh. I thought I had been tipsy, but I was drunk. There was no mistaking the glazed eyes that stared out at me from the mirror. I washed my hands, wiggling my fingers in the tepid water with a giggle.

"Don't even think about it!" Mina squealed as I exited the bathroom, just in time for me to see Iron flip her skirt up with a startling wide smile. I froze, shaking my head as my brain processed the information. But Mina just smiled like Mona Lisa, a million secrets layered in the tilt of her lip.

"Enjoying Tay's birthday?" I asked. It would be rude to walk right by them, right? My alcohol addled brain assured me I had made the right move but Iron pursed his lips.

"Weren't you meant to be driving?" He muttered, winking to Mina, who disappeared from his side. I nodded, my head buzzing. He wrapped his hand around my elbow and coaxed me down the hall. I stumbled in the wake of his long strides. He hadn't bothered to dress in the Ninja Fighter theme, but he could still hit it. I don't even want to think about what twisted daddy issues had me lusting after my nearest daddy figure. Iron dragged me into the kitchen and covered my mouth.

"Girl. Don't say another word." My eyes widened. Had I been babbling aloud? Iron's frown deepened. "Yes. So no more of that shit. We both know who you really want in your bed," He growled into my ear. I giggled against his palm, realizing I'd said it out loud. We were tucked in the dim light of the kitchen and Iron pressed me against the bench. His hands jumped back like I was diseased and it made me giggle again.

"I'm too old for this shit." He muttered, yanking out a glass and filling it with water. "Drink this."

I turned my head, alcohol making me bratty. Iron growled under his breath, trying to press the glass into my hands.

"Am I interrupting something?" Icicles dripped off the cold accusation. The drink slipped through my jelly fingers and shattered on the ground. Water coated my legs and the glass fragments glinted in the low light. Mission was filling the doorway, chest heaving from ragged breaths. But he wasn't looking at me. Unfettered animosity glittered in his eyes as he stared at Iron.

"No, for fuck's sake." Iron reached over and hooked his hands under my armpits. He lifted me off the ground and ferried me over the broken glass. "Take her." He grunted, pushing me into Mission. I protested as his arms banded around my back.

"Hey, not cool." I complained.

"This little idiot was planning on driving home. I'm putting you in charge of her, got it?"