20 - Free

Jade

"If you step one foot in Savage Sons, this door will be closed to you. Do you understand?" Mom's voice shook with barely restrained rage. "You don't know your dad like I do."

I spun around and planted my hands on my hips.

"Of course, I don't know anything about him. You kept him from me my whole life." I shrieked, shouldering my backpack. Mom slumped over the kitchen counter, shaking her head.

"This isn't some fairytale story where your dad sweeps in and smothers you with love like you've always wanted." She clicked her tongue. "I'm not going to stand by and watch the girl I raised, with no help from him, throw her future away."

"It's just for the weekend, mom." I rolled my eyes and wrapped my long, blonde hair in a scrunchie. "And you never even told him I existed, so how could he help raise me?"

I was being a bitch, but why couldn't she be happy for me? I fingered the star necklace he'd bought me when I was thirteen. My dad had an important job at his club. He was somebody big. That was why I hadn't heard from him for three years. Except on my birthday. But now he'd invited me to the club, I knew it was our chance to get to know each other, without mom's pinched face ruining everything. We traded an explosive look.

"I mean it." Her voice shook, and I hesitated for a moment. "I got away from him once and I won't go through it again."

A horn sounded from outside, and excitement coursed through my veins.

"I'm sixteen, mom, practically an adult and I need to do this. I'll see you in a few days, okay? Enjoy some time for yourself." But she turned away, giving me her back. If I hadn't run out the door so fast, I would have heard the sob she made. Perhaps I would have made different choices. But leaving that day changed everything.

I clutched my duffel bag to my chest as I got in the truck.

"Hey Danni, it's nice to meet you, finally!" A man who wasn't my dad was in the driver's seat. He whipped his shaggy blonde hair back to reveal twinkling hazel eyes. "It's me, Zach." He added as I struggled to contain my confusion. He was wearing a dark denim jacket and had a silver ring with a star carved into it.

"I thought my dad was coming to get me? Lefty?" I used his road name even though it sounded weird to me. Zach frowned and pulled out onto the road. My stomach flipped as I watched my house disappear in the rearview. I swear I saw the curtains twitch like my mother had been watching. "Are you one of the prospects?"

"He didn't tell you about me." Zach shook his head like this wasn't unusual. He squeezed the wheel and sighed. "I'm your half-brother. Lefty is my dad too."

**

I fingered the star necklace pendant, I'd dug it out to give me strength. It had been the first gift my dad had ever given me, when I was thirteen and he seemed like a hero swooping in to brighten my world. We'd spent a whole day at the beach side markets and he'd laughed when I pointed out the necklace.

"What's with my kids and stars?"

I didn't understand what he meant. Not until I met Zach, my half brother. If I thought my father was a hero, Zach was the real thing. The first man in my life who didn't leave or hurt me. We'd spent many nights looking up at the sky, wishing for a different choice. He'd explained the constellation tattoo's he had with a soft smile. He'd given up everything for me, to help me get free of our father. I wasn't going to let his sacrifice be for nothing.

My resolve didn't calm the churning of my stomach.

"Anything?" Dixie muttered as she read a letter. I looked over her shoulder and the sun that bled orange as it sunk over the horizon. An eerie light cast over the empty car park. We weren't truly alone, though. Mission, Wings and a few of the other guys were tucked in the warehouse to the side. I kicked the flat tire of the car we'd pulled up in, in case Savage Sons were waiting to see if we were truly alone.