Seeing the Jing Prince's questioning appearance, Eunuch Su smiled and said: "This servant felt he hasn't returned in a very long time, and decided to stop by and take a look."

"It's been hard on you."

The Jing Prince went over to the chair and sat down, indicating for Eunuch Su to do the same.

Eunuch Su spent most of the year away and wasn't a reserved person to begin with. He also understood the prince's personality so he didn't put on airs and sat down as well.

"It's not hard. This servant will risk life and limb to handle master's affairs." After Eunuch Su finished with the pleasantries, he continued to speak: "The world outside is much more exciting than in here. Although this servant has been busy this whole time, there's plenty of energy to spare."

This was actually the truth. If it weren't for this opportunity, eunuchs who entered the palace would spend their entire lives there. Eunuch Su's life on the other hand was a lot like a normal person's, and was actually a lot more carefree. Apart from his status as a eunuch, everyone who saw Eunuch Su on the outside would have to call him elder.

All along, the most profitable businesses was in tea and salt.

Especially salt. Since the imperial court didn't permit the smuggling of salt, the Jing Prince was able to take advantage in many ways. The Jing Province was his vassal state, and that included the salt mines within the borders. The Jing Prince's first venture was to use this salt as a springboard. Using public goods for private transactions, he collected quite a bit of money that was used for developing outward slowly.

With a vassal prince as a backer, his personal businesses were naturally not the same as others. They had money if they needed money, they had troops if they needed troops and they had workers if they needed workers. They could advance and retreat as needed. Over the years, the businesses rapidly developed under Eunuch Su's hands.

The private salt business had already expanded dramatically, and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it was raking in money. The money earned was used to earn more money by opening several taverns, bars, brothels and gambling dens. These were not only good investments, but also good locations for information gathering.

Of course Eunuch Su's return this time wasn't just stopping by as he said on the surface. Another reason was to report his gains and losses.

No matter how busy Eunuch Su was, he would return a few times a year to report. Whether or not the Jing Prince looked over it was one thing, but Eunuch Su wouldn't take his master's trust for granted.

The Jing Prince was also aware of Eunuch Su's character. As expected, there was a large chest in the corner of the room. He knew that within it contained all the private ventures' accounting statements for the year.

Eunuch Su reported the important things to the Jing Prince, and then placed a black box on the table.

"Highness, here is the surplus profit for the year. If there isn't anything else, this servant will take his leave. Having not been back for so long, this servant plans to find those old fellows for a good chat."

The Jing Prince was never able to say anything overly emotional, "Stay a little longer. Don't be too hard on yourself."

These words were already quite rare coming from the Jing Prince, and Eunuch Su could naturally tell the implicit affection behind them.

"This servant knows."

The Jing Prince waved his hand and Eunuch Su left.

*****

Xiao Hua was shocked by the Jing Prince stroking her hair, and only snapped out of it after a long time.

She couldn't figure out why he would suddenly do something like that.