Untitled Part 61

Beginne am Anfang

Chun Cao had labelled Ding Xiang as someone treacherous from the start.

This was just her initial impression. Afterwards, that night after the madam had gone to bed, Ding Xiang called her outside and gave her a lecture. Her general meaning was that she would still be able to serve inside the house, but it would depend on her performance. If she behaved well then she would make the arrangements.

These few days Chun Cao was very well behaved on the surface. In her heart she was actually saying that Ding Xiang better not let her seize the chance to go complain to the madam. She had accompanied the madam for so long, she would probably be on her side. But today when Ding Xiang arranged for her to enter and serve tea, she saw the madam yet wasn't able to tattle.

Chun Cao thought it was because it wasn't the right moment since Ding Xiang was there as well.

Xiao Hua glanced at Chun Cao's back and lowered her head again to read.

Although she was literate and had read several books before, it had been a while since she last did so. The reading was quite strenuous. However, the stories recorded in the travel log were exciting, so she stuttered along and felt her mood was pretty good.

"Ding Xiang."

"Madam."

"Chun Cao is someone who has been with me from the beginning. I'd like to look after her."

Xiao Hua thought that Ding Xiang should probably understand her meaning.

"Madam, this servant understands." Ding Xiang paused and continued: "This servant isn't trying to make things difficult for her. Her attitude isn't right and this servant just wants to polish her up a little. If she continues developing as is, she will cause problems for the madam."

Xiao Hua raised her head, "It's not that serious, right?"

Ding Xiang looked Xiao Hua in the eyes, "Mistresses are mistresses, and servants are servants. She shouldn't be unaware of her own place just because she has some relationship with the mistress."

"Chun Cao isn't someone who doesn't know her place...."

"That's because it hasn't developed to that extent." Ding Xiang half lowered her head and said quietly: "Madam, your birth is not noble. Chun Cao also watched as you became a mistress in a single leap...."

Xiao Hua looked at Ding Xiang without sorrow or anger, her expression very calm.

Ding Xiang raised her head and looked at Xiao Hua, continuing to speak: "What inappropriate thoughts will slowly develop into is something none of us can foresee. However, Ding Xiang knows that Chun Cao's thoughts will only cause madam many problems if they continue to develop."

After half a moment, she said again: "Madam cannot afford to deal with any more problems at the moment."

Their eyes met.

Xiao Hua sighed and retreated in defeat, "Alright, I don't really understand these things. However, I trust you."

Ding Xiang didn't reveal much on the surface, but she felt relieved in her heart.

"Ding Xiang will not fail to live up to madam's trust."

Xiao Hua continued reading the book in her hands. Ding Xiang once again sat on the small stool and did some needlework.

The room was very quiet.

"Ding Xiang, where did you work in the past? I feel you aren't someone who came in from the outside." Xiao Hua casually flipped through the book and her tone was one of casual conversation.