"Don't always do it yourself. See if anyone else is decently skilled and have them help a little."

"It's fine, this is easy. I'm almost done. Ding Lan and the rest are all busy since madam doesn't have many clothes. The cloth that was delivered needs to be processed quickly."

Xiao Hua didn't understand for a moment but then immediately thought it through.

Her clothes were all given to her in the Hall of Splendor. Although they looked decent, there was still quite a gap compared to those worn by the Jing Prince's harem. During the banquet she could tell that even the Madams Yu overshadowed her by a lot a lot, let alone Senior Concbuine Qiao or the Jing Consort. In the past as a low-ranked palace maid she didn't have to worry about these things. However, with her change in status she needed to have clothing that was "appropriate" to her new title.

Ding Xiang was silent for a moment, and carefully said to Xiao Hua: "But since time is so short, we might not be able to make it in time for tomorrow. Only this cloak can be worn."

Xiao Hua smiled and said: "It's fine, I'm not picky about these things."

Ding Xiang didn't speak further but Xiao Hua understood her meaning.

Places with many women had many quarrels. Furthermore, the women in the rear court were mostly vain. If your clothes were prettier, they would look at you in a better light. If your clothes were too plain, they would mock and look down on you. In her past life Xiao Hua had seen too many situations like this. A piece of jewelry or a piece of clothing could become the topic of many conversations.

After reincarnating, Xiao Hua had analyzed this situation. The women in the pavilion were too idle, and there was only one man. Everyone would be looking for bones in the chicken egg, and if they could seize onto any weaknesses they would trample that person to death.

If you didn't get angry they'd continuously slander you. If you got angry, that was exactly what they wanted. The arguments in the pavilion mostly started this way. Jealousy spurred them to make trouble for others. The amount of favor available was limited. If you got a little more, others got a little less. Doesn't this make it impossible for them all to coexist peacefully?

Unexpectedly, in both her lives she ended up in similar circumstances though the surroundings had changed. She understood that she was now officially part of the Jing Prince Estate's rear court.

She didn't know if she could avoid struggles in the future.

Xiao Hua knew that this thought was complete nonsense. Just based on what she could tell from the Jing Consort's attitude, she was already sitting on pins and needles. As for the other three, she didn't have a clear understanding yet. But she could already imagine that there would be a hard fought battle tomorrow.

She hoped she would be able to deal with it appropriately.

Thinking of these things, Xiao Hua sighed once again.

Ding Xiang who was sitting at her feet heard the sigh and her eyes flashed, but she didn't say anything.

*****

The Jing Prince was very busy these last few days, and didn't get any leisure time despite it being the New Year.

Reports from Mt. Dahei said that they had caught two scouts in the area. The Jing Prince viewed the place with great importance, thus the news was not delayed by the festivities.

Only now did the Jing Prince know that there had been people inserted into his vassal state. In the past things had been calm, but who would have expected this slight abnormality to flush them out of hiding.