The city of spectres

Desmon mounted Kurox and continued on his way. He stopped in a field on the outskirts of a city to rest and try to review the dictionary, but after several minutes, he gave up and fell asleep with the book on his face.

When he woke up, he noticed it was already 11 am. Knowing he still had time and some money, he decided to go to the nearby city and have breakfast.

As he rode on Kurox, he felt a strange sensation passing by a mountain, but since he didn't know what it was, he ignored it and moved on.

His mind started to cloud at times, as if he was changing his mind about heading to the city, but he attributed it to being tired from not sleeping comfortably on the plane and dismissed it. After several minutes, that feeling disappeared.

Once inside the city, he noticed something very peculiar.

"There are really a lot of specters here." He said to himself as he drove through the streets. Being half-demon, his eyes could perceive things that ordinary people couldn't see, like ghosts or specters. These were common, existing as restless souls, but he had never seen so many in one place; it was as if the city were cursed.

"Some cities are strange.'' Desmon thought, and ignored the matter.

Since these problems didn't affect him and the beings were not demons, he had no reason to do anything about it. Nevertheless, on his way, he stopped at a nearby park where he could see several children playing. Among them was a grotesque specter holding several balloons.

The children couldn't see it, but the specter could see them. Judging by its behavior, it was easy to guess that it was a child before dying.

"Hey, don't you know that kids should only play with their kind?" Desmon said this, and he and the specter locked eyes, as if the young boy could see it. The children just glanced at the strange guy talking to himself on a motorcycle and ignored him.

However, the specter did not ignore him and lunged towards him.

"You're not of interest to me.''

Desmon pointed his hand at the specter, bending two fingers and keeping two straight, as if trying to form a weapon. The specter screamed in rage, but to its misfortune, when it was centimeters away from its victim...

"Bang."

A small amount of demonic energy shot from his fingers, instantly destroying the specter. He discovered that he could imbue Kurox with demonic energy, but when he tried to do the same with Alastor, he failed.

It would have been easy if he could make Alastor disappear and reappear when needed, but luck was not on his side with that.

However, he found out he could do it with certain parts of his body. The amount was minimal, not even enough to harm a demon, but when he tested it on a specter, it was enough to send it to the afterlife.

"At least it can be useful to deal with those things, even if it's not my job." Desmon thought, and continued on his way, stopping at a café to have breakfast.

With the few dollars he exchanged for yen, Desmon set out to have breakfast with whatever money he had. He could go days without eating, but after spending months in that town waiting for demons, he had grown accustomed to having three meals a day and getting around 10 hours of sleep.

Before stopping, he entered an alley with Kurox, and after dismounting, the bike vanished. It would be strange if other people saw him doing this; claiming to be a magician with many tricks wouldn't make sense. That's why Morrison also advised him not to draw too much attention.

Inside the café, he was lucky that the cashier understood another language, so he ordered some chocolate donuts and a lucuma milkshake with his limited money. It was all he could afford.