Chapter 17 ➼︎Books

Chapter 17, Books

Chapter 17, Books

I had never been so happy before. I had my family. My sweet handsome Laurie. I was going to have a family. One that I always had dreamed of. I was so blessed indeed.

I wondered how soon Laurie wanted to get married. That was going to be something that we had to discuss alone. I had to write to Amy right away and tell her the good news about the engagement.

I knew Aunt March would not like the fact that I was going to wed Laurie, the boy next door. She would think I could do better.

But no one was better for me than he was. Jo comes up the stairs as I am writing a letter to Amy about how happy I was. Jo looked down in the dumps. She had a book in her hands as she normally did. She sits on the couch there and pouts.

•✿︎︎•

"Jo what is wrong?" I ask.

"I never heard back from the Professor. I did as you said and I sent him the book I wrote called My Beth. But I guess he hated it. I can't ever do anything right. Please do not tell anyone that I told you this. But I miss him a great deal. I think he hates me" Jo mutters as tears come to her eyes.

I sat down beside her.

"I am sure he does not hate you Jo" I tell her. "mail takes time. I am sure he will write you back"

"Doubtful" sighs Jo. She brushes tears back with her hand. "can I tell you a secret?"

"You know you can tell me anything" I reminded her.

"Back in New York he took me to plays. And I loved it. We had so much fun together. We even kissed. I thought we were serious about each other. That he might ask me for a courtship" Jo says. "like Laurie did for you. But it was not meant to be"

"Wow you kissed him back?" I gush. She never told me that!

"It is over with. I will move on I suppose. He moved on" she mutters. "I just feel so sad"

I hugged her.

"You miss Beth, and you lost him. You have a great deal to be sad about" I point out.

"Thank you" she sighs.

"I bet you will write the best book out there and make millions on it wait and see" I say to her. "Jo you are a wonderful writer. I read that book. I could not put it down" I remind her.

"You make me feel better" sighs Jo.

"I am always here for you" I tell her.

I meant that to.
And I knew she was always going to be there for me as well.

•✿︎︎•

"Fiona! Laurie is here to see you" calls out Marmee.

"Be right down" I tell her.