Chapter 8 ➼︎ Long Letters

[Author Note: Before phones the often kept in touch by writing long letters

[Author Note: Before phones the often kept in touch by writing long letters. Letters were the only way families back then could know what was going on with each other. I love getting letters still. It's a fun hobby]

Dedication: Roxydog05

Chapter 8, Long Letters!

I was busy writing letters on a rainy afternoon. Meg was going to try to come over to cheer me up. Laurie was busy with his grandfather. I had gotten a hearty letter from Jo. And she said Amy had sent out letters that I was sure to be getting one in the mail from Paris soon. I was looking forward to that. I loved letters. I loved opening them.

Reading them. I saved all my letters my parents once written to each other back when they fell in love. And the letters ones my mom had written back to my uncle here in this house. My mom had been so close to this family. I knew she missed them when she moved away. I sure missed my family so very much. Having her letters were having something of her that was close to my heart.

I was sitting in the attic . At Jo's desk. Rereading her letter she wrote to me. She had said she befriended a German professor. A Mr. Bhear. I wondered if Jo fancied him. Though she always claimed she was never going to marry and that she was never going to have kids. But Jo might one day. She might surprise us all.

Her letter read:

•✿︎︎•

Dearest Fiona,

I enjoy living in New York very much. It is a new life for me out here. The change of pace that I needed. I have been helping Marmee's friend with her kids. A boarding house is really no place for children. But they have adapted well here. Kitty and Mini are dear girls. And my professor. He is a stout man. Cheerful face. He has a wonderful library and he lets me borrow his books to read. His German father would love to speak with him about his beliefs'. He knows I love to write. And how I long to transform something out of it. He has read some of my work and I find myself nervous to see what he thinks of me. He has read many of great writers. I am sure he will humble me with what he thinks of my writings. It is spring here in New York. We have gotten many rain showers. I am sure you back home have as well. How is my boy Laurie? I have not heard back from him though I have tried to send him letters. I am sure he is ignoring me and tending to his wounds. One day he shall forgive his Jo. But until then please look after him for me?