-ch. 21b-

Age: 16

-VANCE POV-

I was finishing dinner when Victor came in, I was actually feeling peaceful in my own house for once.
I already finished the bills, so I was going to go upstairs after dinner anyway. Brady already had dinner. Me and Liz got into a fight, so I wasn't over. The fight was mostly my fault, anyway. She was trying to help me and all I did was accidentally grip her wrist too tight and lash out at her...

"What are you doing down here this late at night?" He muttered.

"Eating?"

"At eight?"

"It's still pretty light outside since it's summer, so it looks like I'm eating dinner at six."

"But you're not."

"Can you get off my back? Thanks to your lazy ass, I have to clean the whole house, work, and pay the damn bills. I've been doing that since the age of six. A kindergartener."

"Watch the way you speak to me."

"What're you gonna do, hit me? I'm already used to that."

"I could kick you out."

I blinked, standing up, and he walked toward me. "And then you'll do what? Work? Clean? Right."

"I can."

"Wow, what a grown man."

He smacked me as soon as I said that. It stung, but I really couldn't care less.

"Pack your damn things then."

I just stared at him. I didn't even care, I wanted to get out of here but was worried about...

Brady. Katie had already left by choice, now me?...I don't have a choice, but I can't take him with me. I'm not even old enough to fight for custody.

I just stormed off upstairs to break the news to Brady.

"Brady, kid..."

"Hm-?" He turned around, he was finishing his summer assignment.

"I gotta go."

"Oh- okay, when are you coming back?"

"I'm not-."

He stared for a moment. "You're not...what? Coming back?"

"No, kid...Dad's kicking me out."

"Oh, well maybe he's just angry again. You can stay for a bit till he cools off!"

"No, this is serious, Captain."

"You- you can't leave... what about me?"

"I'm sorry, Victor said he'd try."

"He's lying! He won't do squat for me."

I gave him a sad look as I saw his eyes well up. He ran and hugged me. "Don't go...please don't leave me here...not alone..."

"I have to, kiddo..." I kissed him on the head, and headed for my room.

When I finished packing, I was already downstairs. Victor was sitting on the couch, not even looking at me. I tried not to think about Brady, but once I was outside, he came and hugged me.

"Kid, I gotta go..."

"No. No you don't. You can't..."

Victor came outside, pulling Brady off, and Brady was trying to wriggle out of his grip. "No!!" He yelled as I walked to the car, trying so hard to leave without looking back. He kept yelling for me, and I had to get in the car before I turned around to take him with me. Driving age was 15 and I had already gotten myself a car. I drove, but I saw Brady running after the car behind me till he finally ran out of breath. His asthma is really bad anyway, he can't run for long.

I stopped by a 7-11, and got snacks. I was already in a different city. Parker was the closest city I could get to, I didn't wanna drive much.

I had enough money to pay a small apartment, so I did. Even though it took like, and hour to do it and I was tired from the drive. I didn't even have furniture, but I had a sleeping bag. So I just slept on the ground that night.

-LIZ POV-

I'd called Vance at least 100 times when I saw him. It had been three days. I thought something happened to him again. He saw me, just standing there. Suddenly I was so angry, I walked up to him as fast as I could, and slapped him.

"JESUS- Liz-! What was that for?!"

"YOU LEFT FOR THREE DAYS. VANCE. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?!"

"Calm down- I got kicked out and went to Parker. I just came back to get the rest of my furniture from my room. Now it's been moved- so I was heading out."

"You went to GODDAMN PARKER?!"

"Liz- lower your voice-"

"NO! YOU SHOULD'VE CALLED."

"I know."

I stared at him, then hugged him. As pissed as I was, I'd missed him. And I was worried sick. He hugged me back, even if he hated hugs. But hey, he owed me one.

"You're crazy, Hopper."

"You're not so sane yourself, Arellano."

I chuckled. "Hush..."

"Woww, since when do you use violence to solve a problem, Princess?"

"This was once and you scared me to death."

"Yeahh...sorryyy...And you're not mad about the other night?"

"No, I'm a very forgiving person and you were just stressed."

"Yeah, but..."

"I'm sure you didn't mean to."

All he did was nod, and we headed to Parker, without asking my mom, just to see where he was living.

"This is...Not bad actually. So does this mean you're not gonna go to Denver High anymore?"

"I can, if I get like, permission from the government. But most likely I won't. But I'll be there for your graduation!"

"You better. And be my prom date."

"I don't know if I can go to prom if I'm not going to school, Liz. And anyway, my original plan was to ditch high school."

"I can ask!"

"Alright- also, you're a grade higher, won't it look weird?"

"Juniors go with sophomores all the time, no worries."

He nodded. "Alright...Your mom's probably worried, you should go-"

"Alright, see you. Be safe, okay? Call me everyday so I know you're safe."

"Alright, Ms. Overprotective."

"Says the one who death stared anyone who checked me out."

"What? Only I can do that."

I laughed, waving him bye and leaving.