10

-Ellie's POV-

I walked to school this time, I didn't feel like taking the bus. Lily was standing next to me at my locker as I grabbed all my books since I didn't want to come back to my locker until lunch.

I was sitting in class, writing in my journal. It wasn't even according to the class. I was just writing random quotes from celebrities I like. Then I began doodling.

"Ms. Arellano. What could you possibly be writing that's more important than the assignment?"

"Nothing, sorry..." I put away my journal and began doing my work.

What's wrong with me? I haven't been paying attention in class, I have all As, but they're A minuses, which according to my mom, is failing. I've been kind-of getting into trouble at school...I don't know what's happening, but I think I know why it's happening.

I asked if I could use the bathroom and Ms. Spencer, my English teacher, let me go. I headed for the bathroom and sat in the stalls, having a good, long cry. I really needed it. School was stressful, everyone's expecting me to be perfect. It's annoying.

I heard a knock on the stall door. "Ellie?"

"Bruce what the hell- this is the girl's bathroom-"

"I know- Are you okay?"

"Yes, get out."

"Not until you come out first."

I sighed and walked out of the stall. He gasped, taking out makeup wipes for my eyes.

"Why do you have makeup wipes hanging in your pocket?"

"Lily."

"Ah."

I went silent and Bruce frowned. "Ellie...Try talking to Vance."

I blinked. "Bruce are you crazy? My mother will murder me."

"Okay, you're right...But if Vance tries talking to you, you'll..."

"Let him talk then kindly ask him to leave. I'm not a mean person."

"Right." We left the bathroom and talked as we walked through the halls. We were in the same class,
so we took the same path.

"Honestly, I'm so tired of school. And problems with men." It's true, I don't know how I feel about Vance. He's my best friend, but at the same time...He's...perfect somehow. "You need to date more people so I can ask you for advice."

"Y'know...There's this...girl."

I blinked. "Okay...pull as you should bestie.."

He chuckled. "I mean, I don't know if I exactly pulled.."

"You definitely did. You're hot, believe it and act like it."

He smiled. "Why thank you."

I nodded and smiled. "Anyway. I think I should tell him how I feel but I also don't want to upset my mom more."

"Wait- tell who how you feel-? Vance?!"

"Shhh!" I glared.

"Sorry. But—You like Vance? Honestly, I saw it coming. But I'm still shocked."

"Yeah...At least I think I love him..."

"Oh- you love this man..."

"Yes, Bruce. I think."

"Think about it, make it for sure."

I thought about him. What he's done for me, how he's made me feel...Oh my God. I love Vance Hopper.

"I definitely love him."

"Knew it. Anyway, wait for the chance he will most likely give you—Then, go for it!"

"Go for it?" I cocked my head.

"Yeah, go for it."

I nodded. "Alright."

He smiled. "Love you Ellie."

"Aww, I love you too Bruce!"

We entered the classroom and continued our work.

I was in my room, hanging out with my older brother. He was helping me study.
"Alright, powerhouse of a cell?"

"Mitochondria."

"Good. Soda coming soon in 85'?"

"Pf- Coca Cola Classic. You're funny."

He shrugged. "Helping you relax a little. Though Laura makes it really difficult to do that..."

"Laura...?"

"Yeah."

"That's what Vance does too..."

"What?"

"He calls his dad by his name."

He looked away. I sighed. "Why do people do that?"

"What? Call their parents by their names?"

I nodded.

"Because...You know when you look up to someone and you love them, and they're like your parent?"

I nodded a second time.

"Well, if they're like your parent, you call them Mom or Dad. Now, if you don't look up to, or love, that person anymore, you don't have a need to call them Mom or Dad. You call them by their name."

I blinked. "Oh...So you don't love Ma anymore?"

He sighed, giving me a comforting look. "I guess not, kid."

I nodded. That was understandable. I looked straight at my window at the sound of a pebble hitting my window.

"Uh, Andres? Do you wanna get us snacks?"

He nodded. "Sure..." He mumbled, walking out.

I headed for my window, opening it. "What is it, Vance?"

"We need to talk."

"...Alright. Come on."

He crossed over with the help of the tree and entered my room. "What's going on with you?" He murmured, trying not to make much sound so my mom wouldn't hear.

"What-?"

"You know what."

"Vance I don't know." Though I did, I just wanted the conversation to end. I know I said I was going to tell him how I felt, but right now? I don't know...

"God—Is it me? Am I a bad influence? I completely understand if it's my influence on you."

"Vance..."

"Or is it your reputation? Are you trying to protect your perfect little reputation? Because that too- I could hurt your reputation by being seen with you."

"Vance."

"Or- or am I too rude for you? I'm sorry I have anger issues. Is it my past? Do you not want someone like me around you?"

"Vance!!"

"What?!"

I don't know what came over me, but I quickly went up to him, grabbed his vest and pressed my lips against his.