1

"ELIZABETH JEAN ARELLANO." I jumped to the sound of my full name. I glanced at the clock next to me and realized I was going to be late for school.

"Ma's gonna beat your-"

"ROBIN. LANGUAGE."

"SORRY MA..."

I chuckled. "Who's ass is getting beat now?"

"ELIZABETH."

"Both of ours." He smirked, leaving the room. I lay back on my bed, sighing. I did not want to get up, but I did anyway. I got ready as fast as I could and ran outside. I barely even did my hair. I'll just fix it at school, I guess. My mother called my name again. I sighed, turning around.

"MANDÉ..?" Yes? I yelled from across the street.

"DID YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK?"

"YES."

"WHAT?!"

"YES!!!" I screamed, straining my voice a little. It kind of hurt my throat...She won't care though, all she cares about is my future, and school. Which, in her eyes, are practically the same thing. She can get aggressive, a little...

Okay, that's an understatement. A lot.

I continued walking toward the bus stop, and I heard heavy breathing come up behind me. My younger brother, Robin, sat next to me on the bus.

"Did you do your homework?" He asked.

I glared at him, he knew Ma already asked me that and nearly robbed me of my dignity.

"I should be asking you that, Robin."

"I did..." He looked away.

I sighed. "You left one question blank, didn't you."

"I don't know what six to the second power is!!"

"It's basic sixth grade math! And it's literally six times six."

"..."

"Robin!!"

"Give me a second!"

"You should know this!!"

"I'm just tired today! I studied for three hours straight last night, Ma made me."

I sighed again. "I'm sorry, kid. The answer's thirty-six."

"Thanks, Ellie."

The relief on his face made me smile a bit. "Don't mention it."

"Ma's gonna be pissed if she finds out you gave me answers."

"Please, the worst she's gonna do to you is lock you in your room for two hours. She's gonna make me stay in my room for four hours without air conditioning in this heat. And how the hell is it going to snow tomorrow?! It's September and it's scorching hot out today."