Chapter twelve

Psychic Scream - You unleash the power of your mind to blast the intellect of up to ten creatures of your choice that you can see within 90 feet. On a failed save, a target takes 14d6 psychic damage and is stunned.

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting - You draw the moisture from every creature in a 30-foot cube centered on a point you choose within 150 feet. 12d8 necrotic damage on a failed save

Prismatic Spray - Eight multicolored rays of light flash from your hand. Each ray is a different color and has a different power and purpose. Each creature in a 60-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. For each target, roll a d8 to determine which color ray affects it. 1. 1.Red. The target takes 10d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
2. Orange. The target takes 10d6 acid damage on a failed save
3. Yellow. The target takes 10d6 lightning damage on a failed save
4. Green. The target takes 10d6 poison damage on a failed save
5. Blue. The target takes 10d6 cold damage on a failed save
6. Indigo. On a failed save, the target is restrained. It must then make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves three times, the spell ends. If it fails its save three times, it permanently turns to stone and is subjected to the petrified condition.
7. Violet. On a failed save, the target is blinded. It must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A success ends the blindness, a fail and the creature is transported to another plane of existence is no longer blinded.
8. Special. The target is struck by two rays. Roll twice more, rerolling any 8.

We get outside to find Svarah looking off towards the rising sun. Must be where the dragon went.

"Ah, good. That was a mighty good fight. The Jaws of Hakkon are broken and holdless. Their stragglers yet wander the woods, but their foolish plan died with Gurd Harofsen. All that remains is the dragon. It has not yet attacked the lowlands. Without the Hakkonites to pull it to purpose, it is confused. Still, I would strike soon."

"Don't worry. We'll get right on that."

~

We get to the shore and find it covered in ice. Hakkon is flying around. Yelling.

"Lowlanders, I am the breath of winter, the cold wind of war! Join me in battle and die!"

I laugh, softly. I reach for Hakkon's mind, the dragon's mind. " And I am the inevitability of death. I am the master of secrets, and I know yours."

He lets out a roar. Anger. Searingly cold. "I am cold! I am war!"

I shake my head, "he didn't get my message, I guess. No mercy. Solas, if you would cast a spell with us and then prepare yourself to fight this thing?"

"Of course."

I don't know what Decius and Solas cast. The psychic scream I push at it, combined with Decius's successive casting, cause it to land harshly, and close to us in the middle of the ice. Solas finishes his spell and Decius casts two more spells in quick succession that I recognize as abi-dalzim's horrid wilting and prismatic spray.

Hakkon screams in agony as I pull out my swords and make tentacles wrap around one of its legs.

He's got to be close to death. I stride forward as Cassandra and Cole begin to slice at the dragon.

It doesn't take long.

I end up on a rock above the dragon and let all the annoyance, the anger, and loss I've felt during this whole trip build.

I reach, one last time, for the dragon's mind. For Hakkon. "I am the Hery Seshta, I will know your secrets. I will take what's mine, and you will pay the price. No mercy. No life." His gaze locks with mine, "bow down to your master."

And I jump.