‎‧₊˚✧ Chapter Twelve ✧˚₊‧

"It is nice to meet you, Jake. May I ask how long all of you have been here?" I asked while tilting my head to the side. I guessed they had not been here for more than a year.

"That's a tough question," he replied. "Not all of us keep track of time. My guess would be a couple of years," he replied with a shrug of his shoulders and a clasp of his hands on the table.

"How do you get food and other necessities around here?" I asked. Feeling a bit embarrassed, I muttered the question loud enough for him to hear.

He explained, "We send groups to gather food and water from different levels. We also take most of our things from the safe levels that have everything we need."

I inquired, "Don't you ever feel tired of living here?"

He responded with a drawn-out, heavy sigh, "Sometimes." He said, "It can get pretty monotonous here, and some of the people around here can get annoying over time. But on the bright side, I've grown into a better version of myself after coming here."

"Become a better person how? If I may ask," I furrowed my brows in confusion. I could not quite fathom how one could become a better person by being in a place I would describe as hell, and being isolated from society did not seem like much fun either.

"The individuals here, we have improved ourselves and become stronger; we may have even learned more here than in the outside world," he answered, scratching his head.

''Did you not have any family?'' I continued to ask questions, driven by my curiosity: "No one that you would miss?" Usually, I would be more mindful and only ask questions that the person is comfortable with, however, his answers blew my mind.

He replied, "Well, yeah, there were a lot of people I missed at the beginning, but I eventually came to accept that they would move on and have good lives, and so would I.'' He looked uncomfortable, shifting his gaze down to the table.

I apologized for asking too many questions and fell silent, explaining that I was just curious. As he didn't respond, I assumed that the conversation was over. I looked around and noticed Alice carrying plates in her hands. Alice put a plate in front of Max, then Luna, and the last one in front of JJ. I watched her walk away, probably to get more food for everyone. Upon her return, plates were placed in front of the rest of us, after which she took back her seat next to Max. The food looked appetizing and well-prepared, and I privately expressed gratitude to the one who cooked it before indulging myself. My thoughts drifted to Kitty, and I found myself pondering how he was doing or what he was up to. A part of me enjoyed staying there, and I briefly imagined how it would have been if I had never left and had stayed with everyone.

Alice chuckled and asked, "Y/N, do you have any friends or family back home?" She poked her fork into a piece of meat on her plate.

I thought for a moment, and all the people I knew came to mind. I grew slightly sad and answered, "Yes, actually, why do you ask?"

"Just making conversation," She replied as she took a bite of her food.

I nodded and quickly finished my food. I needed some time alone as being around many people drained my social energy. I had already done more socializing than I wanted to.

I murmured, ''Excuse me'' as I stood up from my seat and started walking away. Not having been given a tour, I was uncertain where to go, so I wandered aimlessly, lost in thought. My heartstrings were tugged, and I felt hurt and lonely. All I wanted was to curl up in bed and sleep it off. I had difficulty deciding between my desires, but I understood my necessities. It is often stated that necessities should come before desires, but I strongly wished to disregard that in favor of my personal inclinations. Eventually, I sat on a small bench in a sparsely populated area where people were engrossed in their activities. As I slowly swung my uninjured leg back and forth, I observed a little girl with dirty blonde hair engrossed in playing with two dolls. The little girl seemed happy, as indicated by the small smile on her lips. The sight made me smile to myself. I did not have any siblings growing up even though I desired to have at least two. However, my parents were determined to have only one child. I did not hold any grudge against my parents for their decision, but I experienced loneliness frequently during my upbringing. When my parents went to work leaving me alone in the house without anyone to interact or play with, I would sometimes cry. Playing with dolls alone quickly became boring, and I wondered if the little girl felt what I had experienced when I was younger. As I continued to observe her, there were no signs of her feeling sad or lonely. Did she experience genuine happiness here like everyone else? In what way?