‎‧₊˚✧ Chapter One ✧˚₊‧

Edited
______

"you didn't know it was Cassie's birthday?!"  Star yelled into the phone, her high-pitched voice piercing my ears. I wrinkled my nose and pulled the device away from my ear, putting the phone on speaker and setting it down on my counter.

"I'm sorry! I lost track of the days! I've been working overtime!." I yelled back, resting my elbows on the counter and burying my face in my hands.

"It's okay, just come to my place. and hurry."

"Okay."  Cassie adores cute pink or purple items. I left my apartment after ensuring the door was locked. I pocketed my phone and keys before departing.

I walked in Hollywood, a lively city I adore living in. I moved here about four years ago, and I just turned 23 a few months ago. My parents asked me not to leave, but I needed to make a fresh start. I still keep in touch with my parents and considered going to see them. I sighed and disregarded the idea. I arrived at the store and opened the door, the smell of vanilla hit my nose. The store was decorated in a light blue theme, with many stuffed animals and charming decorations throughout the space.

"Hello, how are you?" greeted Mr. Daniel, an older gentleman with a short, dusty gray beard and faded blue eyes. He owns the store, and I often visit to purchase items for my apartment and chat with him. Daniel has become like family to me.

"Hi! I'm searching for a gift," I said while grabbing a soft, pink dolphin stuffed toy. After examining it, I concluded that it was ideal for Cassie. Then, I saw a sky-blue squid plush toy and simultaneously picked it up with my other hand while retaining the dolphin.

It was very soft and cute. I smiled to myself and turned around.

"How much are these?" I asked Mr. Daniel. He paused and rubbed his chin, considering.

"$20," he said at last. I took out my wallet, gave him some cash, and asked, "Can you put these in gift boxes?" He happily nodded and disappeared beneath the desk. He returned with two boxes - one pink and one blue. He placed the dolphin in the pink box and the squid in the blue box. "Here you are," he said, smiling as he handed them to me.

  "Thanks!" I left the store carrying two boxes in one hand and holding my phone in the other. When I checked my screen, I realized I had spent 30 minutes inside. I turned off my phone and put it back in my pocket. I began running along the sidewalk towards Star's house, hoping I wasn't tardy. After a few minutes, I felt dizzy, so I slowed to a walk. I tried controlling my breathing, but it wasn't easy, and I felt light-headed. My knees grew feeble as a result, and I swayed back and forth. I put my hand on the wall of a building to steady myself. I thought dehydration was causing my condition, but I dismissed this idea when I realized my symptoms were too severe for just not drinking enough water.

The world became a blur and I couldn't hear the passing cars. I frowned as I struggled to grab my phone. After unlocking it, I squinted to find Lucas's number. Suddenly, my phone slipped and fell to the ground. I winced and bent down to pick it up, but the ground disappeared.

I descended quickly, holding my phone and gift boxes. I felt a scream escape me as I flailed through the air with my heart in my throat. Suddenly, I came to an abrupt stop as I saw something in front of me. Squinting to see better, I realized it was a hard surface. I closed my eyes tightly and shielded my face with my arms to avoid hitting my head.

I fell onto the ground and felt a sharp pain shoot through my body, causing me to grunt. I waited for the throbbing to subside before attempting to get up, wincing in pain. The bright pink landscape caught my attention as I looked around.

In shock, I stood still, trying to understand how I fell through the floor. After a few blinks, I explored my surroundings to figure out my location. The room contained a pink sofa and several matching stuffed animals. In the center, there was a small, frosted pink coffee table with arranged pink cups and bags of chips. On the bright pink vanity sat a tulip pink TV surrounded by several small figures and plushies. The hot pink carpeted floor matched the cotton candy pink walls. I was surprised by the sheer number of pink shades. The lack of windows made me slightly nervous.

On entering the kitchen, I noticed rose pink stoves and cabinets. The fridge and checkered floor displayed a different shade of pink. The microwave and coffee-maker were both bubblegum pink. As I walked towards the counters, I opened a drawer to find that even the utensils were pink. I made a mental note that there was a dining room connected to the kitchen and decided to inspect it later.

Leaving the kitchen, I entered the presumed living room, which led to a hallway with multiple doors. The first door on the left opened into a normal-sized bedroom, featuring a twin bed adorned with various pink stuffed animals and bedsheets. The walls were decorated with lively, pink-themed posters of anime and shows. To my right, I saw a closet filled with pink clothes and matching shoes that were neatly arranged below the hanging clothes. After taking a quick look, I closed the door and proceeded down the hallway.

Arriving at the second door, I turned the doorknob and pushed it open. Inside was a pink master bedroom, following the cute theme of the house. I closed the door and returned to the living room, where my attention was drawn to the open gift boxes and my phone - which I had almost forgotten after I tripped.

I hurried to grab my phone, but was let down by its slightly cracked screen and low battery. After unlocking it, I navigated to my contacts and promptly dialed Cassie.

"Hello?" Her kind voice came from the phone, and I smiled with relief that I could get in touch with my friends.

"Hello? Thank goodness! you have no i-"

"Where are you?" she interrupted angrily.

"I don't know, but you have to hear me out," I said. Then I heard Cassie groan followed by a beeping sound ringing in my ears. I moved my phone away from my face and saw the message 'call ended' on the screen. I tried calling her again by frantically tapping on my phone but it eventually died and became useless. Tears welled up in my eyes as I recognized my desperate situation. I was in a new place without a phone, and my closest pal didn't make an effort to hear me out. I was scared and hurting, my ribs aching - they might be bruised. I was grateful that they weren't broken.

My stomach rumbled, telling me I was hungry. I put my phone in my pocket and went to the kitchen. I wasn't sure if there was any food there, so I was surprised to see the fridge was stocked with food. I spent the next hour cooking my favorite dish. Then, I returned to the living room and sat on the couch. I put my plate on the coffee table and searched for the TV remote.

When I discovered it, I switched to a random channel and began eating. However, I felt like someone was observing me and gradually lost my appetite. Consequently, I returned my plate to the coffee table. I stood up from the couch and proceeded down the hallway, eventually arriving back in the master bedroom. I cautiously pushed the door open, revealing a bedroom adorned in pastel pink.

A shelf full of plush toys, books and other items was on my left. Next to it was a desk with a pink decorated computer and chair. I walked to the bed and carefully lay down, making sure not to disturb the neatly arranged plush toys.

I was lying on my side, looking at the desk. I wasn't sleepy, but I was really bored and afraid. Suddenly, a shadow dashed past the doorway and I sprang up from the bed, staring in horror. my mind raced with possibilities, but none of them registered. I got out of bed and walked towards the door. Looking through the crack, I saw that the living room was empty. On my right, I noticed a tall, shadowy figure standing at the end of the hallway. I froze, staring in fear as it seemed to tower up to the ceiling!

My mouth opened as I tilted my head up to get a better look at the creature. But it had no identifiable facial features, which made me uneasy. I held onto the door handle, backed into the room, and shut the door. Then, I locked it and dashed to the bed, crawled under the covers, and trembled with fear. I stayed terrified and couldn't sleep for the rest of the night.

~

AN: Big thanks to @Jgeek102 for helping me correct some of my sentences and improve this chapter.

don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it and wish to see more!