Mysta Rias

✿ Mysta Rias x Gender neutral reader.
✿ Tags: Slight angst, fluff, non-romantic.

A faint breeze barely brushed the few documents that rested on the counter; one by one they left their place after being taken between the hands of a certain detective, to then carefully put them in a briefcase, which he could barely close

A faint breeze barely brushed the few documents that rested on the counter; one by one they left their place after being taken between the hands of a certain detective, to then carefully put them in a briefcase, which he could barely close. Noises from the bustling night city escaped through the window.

"Did you pack everything? Haven't you forgotten anything?" Faint but persistent, the little voice of the one who shared an apartment with the gray-haired man appeared.

"Don't worry, I'm carrying everything I need." He smiled, as always.

But the heart of the one who remained in front of him knew very well that soon it would be time to part, and go their separate ways.

They both knew it, they had talked about it for hours before. They still remembered how Mysta tried to calm them down after shedding so many tears that it seemed that the place would flood. And it just sucked, that their closest friend would be moving to a different city.

"Look at me." They heard him, and lifted their clouded gaze in what looked like tears again. They immediately pulled their sleeve over their eyes, they didn't want to cry, not in front of him.

"You'll be fine. Believe me, there's hope in the dark." A chuckle escaped the other one's lips at the obvious quote. The man's hand came to rest on their head and ruffled their hair. "You were mine, after all."

"You'll leave..." They insisted.

"To solve great mysteries in a different city." He continued. A serene, compassionate smile rested on his lips; he looked at the other with sweet melancholy, a bittersweet taste in the throats of both.

The wall was decorated from head to toe with photos, and even newspaper articles bearing the young man's name: Mysta Rias. The great detective of this chaotic city.

"They won't be the same." The person of sad eyes referred to the faces framed in a photo at the top, the men surrounding Mysta with wide smiles painted on them.

"We will maintain our friendship." He laughed, looking along with his companion at the faces of those people. "It's not like by moving I'll stop talking to them."

He was right, he was just going to move. He would go somewhere else in search of different opportunities; he had said that a million times. "It's the same with you." They turned, looking at him with a hint of hope. That hope he and his friends had planted in them. "We'll be in touch, and that's a promise."

And they hugged him, happy to still be able to feel his warmth. "Let's make the most of the time we still have left together, then." They looked up at him, eyes brimming with tears, but this time they went hand in hand with ephemeral happiness.

"Don't talk like I'm going to die; I'll be alive in your memories, asshole." Their laughter echoed off the walls one last time.