Chapter 10: The Adventures Of Stella And The Two Explorers

Start from the beginning

He started to move up as a guy with a buzz-cut waved at him to come up to him, but Kit ran after Alex, hopping up the steps like a bunny.

"Wait!" she cried, and he turned around, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What?" he asked as Kit caught up to him, panting slightly.

"I uhh....I was wondering....so there's an after party thing on at Drew's after this--"

"I don't think I'd be very welcome there." Alex deadpanned, looking slightly irritated.

He turned to walk away, but she grabbed onto his arm.

"Hold up! I'm not finished!" she complained.

He squinted at her.

She took a deep breath.

"You see, I'm not really....into parties. I was just wondering if you and Stella minded if I....uh...joined you guys on your late night drive..." she asked, a little bashfully, as she let go of his hand.

And then, slowly, his face cracked into a smile and his eyes lit up like the night sky.

"Oh." he said, giving her funny look, like he was holding back some sort of overwhelming happiness.

"Sure. I'll meet you after the game." he said, and she nodded.

"That would be rad." she said, twisting her fingers nervously.

"Right." he said, a little breathlessly.

Both of them stared at each other for a few moments, both of them grinning like fools at each other, until an empty cup was thrown at Alex's face, breaking their eye contact.

"Hey wiener boy! We've been waiting about fifteen minutes for our hotdogs!" yelled an angry looking senior.

Alex gulped, and he gave Kit one last nod.

"I'll see you after the game." he said, then he scurried off, the wiener bouncing on his cap as he awkwardly moved through the stands.

Kit watched him go, then started to descend down the steps as the whistle blew, signalling time out.

She settled back in her seat and watched the boys huddle on the pitch as the cheerleaders cheered on about "Team Spirit!"

"And one popcorn for you, young lady." said a voice smoothly as a bucket of popcorn was dumped onto her lap.

She looked up, only to find a boy wearing black boots with a wobbling wiener hat scurrying away from her.

She laughed as he turned back around as he gave her the thumbs up.

~

Alex

He tapped Stella's wheel anxiously as he turned up Green Day a little louder, trying to block out his nerves.

His headlights were off, and he was watching the crowds of people stroll by, searching for a girl with frizzy bleach blonde hair.

"I can't believe she chose us over Drew, Stell. I mean, look at us." he said as he stared in the rearview mirror.

"I don't think another girl has ever sat shotgun with us Stell; apart from mom of course." he said thoughtfully, chuckling to himself.

"Lucky me." said a smirking Kit as she smiled at him through his open window.

"Shit!" he yelled, jumping in his seat, his face turning hot because she had heard him.

"I...uh...didn't see you there." he stammered, scratching the back of his head.