37: Skinny Love

Meredith POV:

When I looked Addie in the eyes, I really knew I messed up. She was supposed to be my Addie. But now? Now she looked at me with the same pain in her eyes as when Derek had crushed her heart. I didn't ever want to see that look again.

I wrapped Clara up in a hug as soon as she ran over to me. She showed me all the decorations and introduced me to all of her friends. But, all I could see was Addison sitting with Amelia and Charlotte, staring blankly on the couch.

After a few moments, I left Clara with her friends and began to walk towards the living room. As I did so, Amelia approached me, quickly grabbing my arm and dragging me off to the side.

"What the hell were you thinking?" She said immediately.

"Amelia, please don't be like that. You're my sister. You have to try to understand me," I defended.

"No," she snapped back. "You don't get to do that. She's my sister too and you've been doing god knows what while she's been here waiting for you. I know you were scared, Mer. We all were. But the least you could've done was pick up the damn phone."

"I know," I sighed. "I know. But I didn't know at the time. I was so caught up in myself that I couldn't see I was breaking her."

"Why are you telling me this?" she responded. "You need to tell her."

"How?"

"I don't know, Mer. But you love her, so figure it out," she urged.

"I will," I said simply. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," she said, pulling me into a hug. "She's outside," she added, nodding her head towards the back door. "That's where she always goes when she's upset."

I gave her a half smile back, then turned to walk to the deck. Sure enough, Addie was sitting on one of her lawn chairs, a glass of red wine in her hand. Maybe I shouldn't have come here. This is a party to celebrate her and Clara. I showed up and now she's crying on the deck. I was ashamed of myself.

I sat down silently next to her. Her gaze shifted down slightly upon realizing I was there. She pulled me closer, wrapping her arm around me while still looking downward.

"Addie," I began.

"No," she responded. "Let's not do this now. Just be here. With me."

"Okay," I replied, resting my head further into her shoulder.

"Okay."

***

Addison POV:

Mer and I eventually made our way back inside the house, to where the group had dwindled to a few of my close friends. Clara's friends had left now, as well as the King-Friedmans, the Wilders, Sofia, Callie, Sam, and Jake. This left Cora and Clara snuggled up together on the couch, as well as Amy and Arizona in the kitchen.

As Mer and I joined them in the kitchen, there was clear tension amongst the group. The chatter dwindled into quiet as their awkward smiles appeared.

"I'm not going to explode guys," I laughed.

"You sure?" Arizona asked.

"Yes, I'm sure," I rolled my eyes. "She's an idiot," I smiled, patting Mer on the back.

"Yes, I am," she replied. "Especially because I flew here without anywhere to stay tonight."

"Your side of the bed's still empty," I smirked.

"Yea?" She played back.

"Unless you don't miss me enough," I pouted.

"Okay there's kids in the living room," Amelia butted in.

"Are there kids in the bedroom?" Arizona asked.

I smirked at Mer, before walking over to Clara and Cora's huddle. Clara was asleep on Cora's lap as "The Princess and the Frog" played over the TV.

"Hey Cora, I'm headed to bed. Do you want me to take Clara up?" I asked.

"No, I've got her. Goodnight," she smiled.

"Goodnight sweethearts," replied, giving both girls kisses on their heads before turning to Mer and smiling.

"Well goodnight," Amelia laughed as Mer and I headed up the stairs.

"Night," I called back.

Mer and I quickly walked into the bedroom and shut the door.

"I missed you," she said.

"I missed you more. All of you," I replied, brushing her bangs behind her ear with my pinky finger.

"Oh yea? So you aren't mad at me anymore?"

"Oh," I laughed. "Of course I am. This makes it more fun."

"I love you," Mer smiled, looking into my eyes.

"I love you too," I smiled, wrapping my hands around her waist and slowly walking toward the bed.

I pressed her hips up against the bed, before she turned us both, easily pushing us onto the bed with her shoulders perpendicular to mine.

"Cora's living right behind that wall," I laughed, gesturing to the wall behind the bed.

"Well that sounds like a you problem," she teased.

"Oh no! I've had enough 'me' problems this week," I replied.

"That's true I suppose," she said, looking deeply into my eyes. "So, a me problem then?"

I didn't reply. Instead, I crashed my lips against hers, pulling her deep into a kiss.

"Yes," I then replied. "A you problem."

A/N: Hey guys! Here's a fun mini update while I work on planning the plotlines for upcoming chapters! Hope you liked it!