She believed her to be a gold-digger over the months that followed their wedding but her appearance proved otherwise. She couldn't keep up with the classy wears or over-the-top brands Chauhans toyed with. She was burdened with their lifestyle and crushed under its weight soon enough, eradicating her doubts. Now, Dhwani was a wallflower and a gossip target in the high society, leaving her to be invisible in their parties.

Making Shreya more scornful towards the eldest daughter-in-law of Chauhans.

"Shreya" The soft voice made her snap out of her daze and look up at Dhwani who passed her some gifts. "Welcome to the family."

She politely welcomed her and Shreya grimaced in reply.

"You are to take care of her, Rakshit." Her smile widened as she warned him playfully, "If she gets sad, you will have a whole lot of explaining to me."

"It is a promise, Sweet child." Rakshit winked making her chuckle at their inside joke.

"Why are you making a promise?" Shreya raised a taunting brow "Not that she has the power to punish you. I am sure you can easily dodge her as all do. She is gullible. Am I wrong, Bhabhi?"

Her smile froze, faltering at the edges. She blinked ever so slowly to hide her eyes which lay bare the hurt the words caused her.

"Shreya." Rakshit gritted. "You cannot talk like that."

"What wrong did I say?" She argued.

"You want me to spell it out?" He glared.

"Please." The hazy voice stopped them that belonged to Dhwani "It is your special day. Do not let me ruin it."

"I am sorry..." Rakshit started but she shook her head stopping him.

"Don't fret about it. Congratulations once again." Her face regained its color and she smiled at Rakshit, her eyes briefly staying on Shreya before she stepped back and left to stand back where she was, hiding from any spotlight.

"You crossed a limit here." Rakshit chided her, and an ephemeral glare shot her way.

"Are you fighting her battles now?" Shreya jested.

"Stop it, Shreya."

"Look at you" She snickered mockingly. "Siding against me already."

"We are supposed to be on the same side." He reminded "It is you choosing the wrong one."

■ ■⁠ ■⁠

The families cheered as the Shagun came to an end

The families cheered as the Shagun came to an end. The smile on Shreya's mother's face was priceless, almost blinding as she distributed sweets. Squealing and gushing on the young couple who stayed seated in their place emanating tension.

Dhwani stepped back from the crowd, trying to be muffled in the shadows as she felt accused of this feud between them. Not that she was at fault.

She didn't consider herself as the reason but the constant nagging of being the reason had her temple throbbing with a blinding headache.