chapter 60

the beginning of the end
🎶 sign of the times - harry styles

They were sitting out in a field with the parked RV beside them, preparing

They were sitting out in a field with the parked RV beside them, preparing. Izzie, Steve, and Robin were tasked with making molotov cocktails. "I mean it just doesn't make sense," Steve said.

"What doesn't make sense?" Robin asked.

"That was Dan Shelter," he answered, referring to the guy they had seen in the store. "He graduated like two years ago."

"So?" she replied.

"So he's in college, which means he's visiting on spring break, and Fast Times was returned like, I don't know, a week ago? Which means she's either got like some horn-dog brother we don't know about which, is possible, or, she's like really into—"

"Steve!" Robin interrupted.

"What?"

"I don't care," she said. "And I don't understand why you do either with everything that's going on. Honestly, this feels like a perfect for that little pull of the rug because, in the face of the world ending, the stakes of my love life feels spectacularly low."

Izzie frowned. She had to disagree. In the face of the world ending, Steve has the light that gave her hope they would be okay. In the face of the world ending, there was never a moment when she doubted the importance of her feelings for him.

"Not everything has a happy ending," Robin remarked.

"Yeah, I know," Steve nodded.

"No you don't," Izzie laughed.

"I'm not talking about failed romance," Robin shook her head. "I just, I have this terrible, gnawing feeling that— it might not work out for us this time."

"You think we shouldn't be doing this?" Steve asked.

"I think we're mad fools, the lot of us, but— but if we don't stop him who will?" she remarked. "We have to try, right?"

"Yeah," Izzie nodded.

Steve held up one of his glasses. "To killing Vecna."

"Slash Henry," Robin smiled, returning the favor.

Izzie picked up a bottle. "Slash one."

Torie and Blair were digging through the RV, trying to find a Walkman.

Suddenly, the shattering of glass was heard. Torie, in a fit of rage, had thrown down a vase. "This is fucking useless!" she yelled. "They live in an RV, what makes us think they have a walkman?"

"Torie, just, why don't you just calm down, and we can keep looking later," Blair soothed.

A tear fell from Torie's eye. "Promise me you won't let him kill you."