chapter 13

pissing contest
🎶 miss americana and the heartbreak prince- taylor swift

   Billy Hargrove was currently the biggest thorn in the side of Steve Harrington

Billy Hargrove was currently the biggest thorn in the side of Steve Harrington. That was saying something, considering the trouble he was facing in regards to Nancy and Izzie. As if navigating and identifying feelings for your girlfriend and best friend isn't already hard enough, Billy wanted to make it harder.

So, coming in for gym class was Steve's new least favorite activity. Billy's competitive spirit and relentless efforts to push him down were enough to push Steve over the edge.

"Harrington." Billy said with a devilish smile.

Ignoring Billy's comment, the brunette boy turned his focus to his assigned position on the court.

As the game pushed on, Steve found it harder and harder to ignore the blonde teens insufferable trash talk.

The game was filled with comments about him being replaced as king. And quite honestly, Steve didn't care. He was done with all the high school games. If Billy wanted the title of most 'popular' guy in school, well he could have it. Steve only wanted one thing now.

"King Steve." Billy taunted. "King Steve everyone. Maybe I should call your little girlfriend and tell her to watch this disaster."

"Do you ever stop talking?" Steve quipped. "Just play the game!"

"What you afraid the coach is gonna bench you now that I'm here? Huh?" He asked, pushing Steve onto the gym floor and sending the ball into the hoop.

Steve groaned as he looked up to see Billy standing over him. He took his hand, idiotically thinking he was offering to help him up. "You were moving you're feet." Billy whispered. "Plant them next time. Draw a charge." He continued, before dropping Steve onto the ground.

Steve groaned as he heard the whistle blow. Wiping the sweat from his forehead, he walked towards the locker room.

Showering in the locker room was like a pissing contest. Everyone in the room was either trying to prove that they were secure in their bodies, or they were trying to prove that they weren't focused on the bodies of others. It was all bull shit.

Most guys keep to themselves, don't shower immediately next to another classmate. But today, Billy and Tommy walked right up next to Steve.

"Don't sweat it Harrington." Billy began. "Today's just not your day man."

"Yeah. Not your week." Tommy butted in. "You and the princess break up for a day and she's already running off with the freaks brother. I guess Nancy is really into screwing over you and Izzie both."

At that point, Steve was angry. He couldn't handle their taunting. He didn't care if they insulted him, he could handle that. But to bring Izzie into it was another story. However, he didn't quite know what he was talking about when referring to Nancy running off.

"Oh shit." Tommy realized. "He doesn't know. They both skipped second period yesterday and they still haven't shown. But that must just be a coincidence." He laughed.

"Don't take it to hard man. Pretty boy like you has got nothing to worry about. Plenty of bitches in the sea. I bet blondie would love a taste of king Steve." Billy smirked, turning off the water. "Am I right?" He asked, patting his shoulder. "Make sure to leave me her little friend." The boy reminded, walking away.

Swiftly turning the water back on, Steve tried his best to make sense of his life at the moment. Everyone around him seemed to know how he felt except for him. All through high school everyone around him was telling him to do them all a favor and screw her. He always thought people didn't understand that they could just be friends, but maybe they were right. Maybe they could all see what he couldn't. He felt so stupid.

Another thing he didn't know, was who Billy was talking about. Izzie's little friend? He definitely didn't mean Nancy. He had been seeing a redhead girl talking with Izzie every once and awhile after the party. But Izzie was a popular girl, he could have been talking about basically any girl at Hawkins High School.

Billy was in his head. In his head about Izzie. All the things he said planted seeds of doubt and their friendship and more thoughts about something more. He didn't know how much longer he could go like this, the guilty thoughts, the mind numbing confusion. It was stuck on him and he could get his focus on anything else.

It was so cliche, the king and the queen. They sounded like a cheesy high school romance. Besides, they were only friends.

Steve just needed to keep telling himself that. Maybe one day it would be true. One of these days.

-

Short chapter but for the first time i present to you: STEVE POV CHAPTER <33