chapter 50

she's safe with me
🎶 marjorie - taylor swift

The group was still sitting in the basement, and Izzie was still pissed that Nancy and Robin left her out

The group was still sitting in the basement, and Izzie was still pissed that Nancy and Robin left her out. Even with her past with Nancy, she thought that at least Robin would have her back. They continued just staring at Max, like they were waiting for her to just drop dead at any second.

"I know you guys are staring at me." She finally said. In response, the teens quickly made themselves busy and let out a variety of 'hmm's and 'what's. "How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." She got up and walked towards the others with a stack of brown envelopes in her hands, but they all avoiding looking at her. After awhile of looking at the group of idiots, she spoke again. "You can look at me now."

"Thank you." Dustin said, while the rest mumbled a simple 'sorry'.

She looked at Dustin. "For you." Then turned to Steve. "For you." She continued like that down the row until everyone had a letter. She then turned back to Victorie. "Give these to Mike, El, and Will. If you can ever get ahold of them again."

They started to open their envelopes before she stopped them. "Hey! What are you doing?" They all looked up at her in confusion. "No, that's not for now, don't open it now." That's when it hit Izzie. They were for if she died, her dying words to them.

"Oh, ok." Dustin replied as he put the folded piece of paper back in the envelope. "I'm sorry, what is this?"

Izzie looked down at her hands as Max spoke. "It's, um, it's a fail-safe." She explained. "You know, for things if they— if they don't work out."

"Wait, woah, Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas replied.

"No!" She responded quickly. "No I don't need you to reassure me right now and tell me that it's all gonna work out because people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean of course this asshole curses me. I should've seen that one coming."

Izzie got up and walked toward Max, the redhead tried to turn away but Izzie grabbed her arm. "Your not going to die Max. You know why? Because I'm the damn babysitter, and I have been the damn babysitter every time and every time I keep you shitheads safe. I'll be damned if I'm gonna loose my streak now. So your ass is not allowed to die, or else my reputation will be ruined. Got it?"

Max looked to the side, the walkie talkie on the table catching her eye. "Fine. But one thing."

"What is it?" Izzie asked.

"If we go to East Hawkins will this thing still reach Pennhurst?" She asked, holding up the walkie talkie.

"Yeah." Dustin replied.

"Why are we talking about East Hawkins?" Blair questioned.

She gave Steve a look that he knew too well, and suddenly everyone else in the room was giving the same look. "No, no, no."