chapter 9

boo
🎶 the archer - taylor swift

Izzie and Steve's relationship grew to be more complicated than ever

Izzie and Steve's relationship grew to be more complicated than ever. The silent tension started after months went by and Steve never ended things with Nancy.

Izzie had thought that night was a turning point for them, however Steve's guilt prevented him from leaving Nancy after learning the real story behind Jonathan Byers.

Speaking of the Byers boy, Izzie had been completely determined to make amends. There never seemed to be a time that she could tell him the whole story, she she started with being kind.

Of course, Steve and Nancy were a pain. So, to avoid third wheeling Izzie had finally made an effort to drive on her own. Isabelle Williams was now officially a licensed driver. Exciting. She stepped out her her car, searching around for the only friend she had left.

After the spray paint incident, and their inability to empathize with Izzie, Tommy and Carol were no longer a part of her life.

Once she had spotted Steve's car, she rolled her eyes at the two teenagers kissing behind the window.  She walked up to the car and knocked on the glass, making an exaggerated gagging noise, earning a middle finger from Steve. "Fuck you too." She smiled.

As the boy rolled down the window, the loud sound of someone obviously trying to show off in their car could be heard. The three teenagers turned to see a car pulling in a few spaces in front of them.

A blonde boy and a younger redhead stepped out of the car, drawing eyes from all around them. The boy specifically, Izzie could smell the desperation coming from the girls around her.

Izzie rolled her eyes and turned back to Steve. "I have to go, see you dingus."

"Wait why?" He questioned.

"It's nothing. I'll see you later Steve. Bye Nancy." She replied, forcing a smile. Truthfully, Izzie did not want to talk to him today. It wasn't the same. She wasn't sure it ever would be. He seemed okay, but she was left confused and scared after that night. He's back with Nancy, she's not sure they were every not together. Either way, ig left a bitter taste in Izzie's mouth. With Halloween coming up, that was just the cherry on top of the bitter cake that was Izzie's life.

-

Walking out of class later that day, Izzie was handed a flyer for a Halloween party. She normally wouldn't go to parties on Halloween. Never. In years past, that was okay. Steve would leave whatever party he attended early, and join her in watching scary movies. She was grateful he gave up end of the night hookups and just about anything interesting to sit around with her. He was her shoulder to cry on. As cheesy as that was, it was true. For awhile, that was enough.

This year, Izzie was done moping around. It was bull. It isn't fair that she let her grief ruin the day she used to look forward to all year. It was her birthday. It was her favorite holiday. She was done ruining it. She no more moping about Madi. None of it.

"Hey Izz!" Steve smiled.

"Hey." Izzie replied shortly.

Steve was slightly taken aback by her lack of personality. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" She answered dryly.

"I don't know, you seem off." Steve continued, concern in his voice.

"Nope. I'm good." Izzie nodded even though she was totally lying.

Steve saw Nancy at her locker and gave Izzie a nod before turning to surprise his girlfriend.

Leaning in to kiss her, the two smiled, completely disregarding Jonathan Byers. When the two looked up, he was gone. "Hey Steve, are you going to the Halloween party tomorrow?" Nancy questioned.

"It's Halloween tomorrow?" Steve asked, almost in a panic.

"Yeah?" Nancy replied slowly. "Is everything okay?"

"I have to go." Steve answered shortly, searching the halls for Izzie. When he found the girl he was looking for her rushed up to her, turning her to face him. "Halloween is coming up. Shit. Izz, I-"

"It's fine" Izzie interrupted.

"No it's not. I don't know how I could forget it was Halloween. I'm so sorry Izz, are you okay?" Steve rambled, the guilt and concern rising in his voice.

Izzie couldn't help but take a moment to see the look in his eyes. He had once had sunglasses on, but he had lifted them and the sight of his eyes would make you think he was the one that couldn't handle Halloween. "Like I said. I'm fine. I just need to find a Halloween costume for the party."

"Izzie-"

"I said I'm okay. I have to get over it at some point. I can't just have one day out of the year be a designated buzzkill. Especially not one as big as my birthday, or Halloween. So I'm done." And with that, the blonde turned and walked away.

-

Izzie sat alone in her room that night. She planned to have a fun teenage Halloween. It wasn't fair that she had never had one. This was her senior year. Her last chance to get drunk and dance in a revealing costume.

Taking a sip of the wine she had taken for her mother's 'secret cabinet' she turned to the door in the corner of her room. She looked through her closet, trying to find something that could be a Halloween costume. It was hard, considering it had been years since she had celebrated Halloween.

Coming across a short black dress, and idea had come into Izzie's mind.