eight ♡

"Why is it so freaking hot?" Andre muttered, his forehead glistening with sweat. We were smack in the middle of the forest, and the scorching sun had turned the whole place into a sweaty sauna. Breathing felt like sucking in hot air, and I wished I could just teleport to a cooler place.

The flowing creek beside us offered some relief, its gentle murmur a soothing contrast to the oppressive heat. I couldn't help but daydream about taking a refreshing dip, but the game was on, and we had no time to chill.

Nature was all around us, doing its thing. The trees stood tall, rustling their leaves as if they were whispering secrets to each other. Birds chirped happily, completely unfazed by the sweltering weather.

During this hot mess, the forest held a certain allure. Its lush greenery painted a picture-perfect backdrop, making it feel like we were in some wild adventure movie. But, man, the humidity was relentless, and the earthy scent of the woods mixed with sweat wasn't exactly the most pleasant aroma.

The sweltering heat couldn't stop us; we were on a mission, a quest all our own. "Seriously, where's the hint we were promised?" I wondered aloud, frustration building. It hit me then - the text message Lauren had mentioned. "But wait, none of us actually have our phones." I pointed out, furrowing my brow as I pushed a fern out of my view.

Stephanie caught on quickly, her eyes widening with realization. "You're right, why would she bring up sending us a text if we can't even check it?"

"I bet it was just a slip of the tongue. She probably assumed we all had our phones," Andre reasoned, trying to make sense of the situation.

During our brainstorming, something clicked in my mind. Nea and I had our tent close to the creek, and it hit me that leadership's tents weren't too far away either.

That creek must lead back to their tents. My eyes darted up, meeting Andre's gaze, but then I spotted a girl hiding just a few bushes away. Reacting quickly, I grabbed my water gun, and my friends noticed my focus.

Stephanie issued a warning, "Ambush!"

We took cover as water gun rounds filled the air, targeting us. Among the chaos, I saw Xena darting between the trees, confirming the identity of our attackers. It was a full-on water war, and the excitement surged through our veins.

"I think the first hint was to go back toward leadership's tent, through this forest," I shared my theory, determined to figure it out.

Andre raised an eyebrow, skeptical. "You sure about that? Maybe the heat's messing with your head," he teased, firing back at Xena, who was playfully taunting us. Her crew was closing in, eager to reset our progress. They seemed to be onto us, possibly aware of the subtle hint Laura had dropped.

"I just have this gut feeling, like the chest might be near their tents," I said, my voice tinged with excitement and determination.

The idea of unraveling the mystery fueled my adrenaline. As the water battle raged on around us, we knew we had to strategize smartly if we wanted to be the ones to uncover that hidden treasure.

But then, like a sudden shift in the wind, everything went eerily quiet. The laughter and water gun sprays that filled the air only moments ago disappeared, leaving behind an almost unsettling silence. It was as if nature itself had hushed, sensing the anticipation in the air.

My heart pounded in my chest, and my ears strained to catch any sound, any sign of movement. The forest seemed to hold its breath, waiting for the next move. I glanced at Stephanie and Andre, their eyes mirroring the alertness I felt.

The stillness was both captivating and nerve-wracking. The leaves above us barely rustled, and even the creek's gentle murmur seemed muted. I could hear my own heartbeat, each thump echoing in the silence.