Gimli!

Relieved beyond explanation, you ran over to the vine that was holding Gimli. "Gimli!" you yelled, staring up at the writhing foot of the dwarf. The rest of him was hidden by the vines.

The writhing stopped, and a muffled sound came from the vine. "Y/n?"

"Yes! Yes, it's me!" you yelled, excitement and relief filling you. You'd finally found someone! Now where was everyone else? Not now, Y/n. Get Gimli down first.

You reached up a hand and gripped the vine, pulling yourself up by its smaller vines sticking out of it. Feeling a little confident, you continued to pull yourself higher up the vine. You were about halfway up to Gimli when he let out a muffled cry. It sounded desperate, as if he was trying to tell you something.

"Can you repeat that?" you called. "You're kinda muffled."

"Tth Viths mmm mlivve."

"What?" you asked bewildered. What in the Halls of Gondor was that meant to mean?

"Tth vinths arm aloove."

The...vines are alight? What in the...oh. The vines are alive. Yeah, you'd kinda figured that part out. You finally reached the top of the vine where Gimli's foot was sticking out, and you grabbed the vine holding him, gripping it tightly. You pulled, but, of course, nothing happened. Rrrrrgh. You pulled harder, but still nothing happened. You drew your knife, the one Aithlin had allowed you to claim. You dug the blade into the vine, attempting to cut it. As soon as you did so, a shrieking sound sounded throughout the whole cavern, and you covered your ears, hissing. The vine beneath you began to move, and you clung to it desperately, forced to uncover your ears. The screeching had stopped, but the movement of the vine had not. Gimli had started to wraith again, and you clung to the vine for your life. It dove forward, taking you with it. As the vine dove forward, you realised it was going to slam you straight into another vine, as well as Gimli, crushing you both. It was now or never that you had to rescue Gimli. You drew your other knife, digging it into the vine. The vine screeched, and you screeched with it, the knives now the only grip you had on the vine. It began to untangle itself, the knot of the vine holding Gimli untangling. You ripped the knives out right before colliding with the other vines, falling to the ground below. You screamed, and you saw Gimli falling as well. Your body hit the ground with a loud thud, but it was barely audible above the sound of the screeching vine. Suddenly the sound stopped. You tried to sit up, but pain shot through your whole body. You let out a hiss of pain. Suddenly there was a figure beside you, leaning over you with concern written all over their bearded face.

"Y/n!" Gimli said breathlessly.

"I'm...I'm alright," you managed, gasping air back into your lungs.

Gimli sat next to you, breathing heavily. You managed to sit up this time, your muscles protesting with every movement. You checked your knives, cleaning the green blood off them. Strange. Vines bleed. Your sudden interest in the knives was overcome with the happiness to see Gimli again. You leapt at him, bowling him over in a massive hug. Gimli let out a surprised grunt, then a laugh. You got off him, helping him to stand.

"I'm so glad you're alright," you breathed. "What happened?"

"Well, I wish I could tell ya," Gimli said sadly. "But I don't know much myself. All I remember is climbing down, then something pulled me from the wall and that's all. I woke up here, surrounded by green."

"What about the others? Do you know anything about them?" you asked desperately.

"Sorry, can't say I know," Gimli said regrettably.