But he can't have me.

Ignoring him, I join my siblings in the living room where Elijah and his half-sisters are playing on a Nintendo switch. Mary and Jackson are nestled on one end of my mother's grey sofa, and for once, seeing the two of them together doesn't bother me.

"Don't walk away from me when I'm talking to you." Sam catches up to me.

"Can we please not do this?" I ask. Exhausted. "I just want to enjoy my time with my family."

Sam stares at me like a wounded puppy before nodding and leaving me alone at my mother's gathering to face these vultures I call relatives on my own. Then he calls me to argue and ruin my night. So, I send him to voicemail. Temporarily blocking him until I gather the energy for the guilt-trip I know is coming my way.

"No wonder you can't keep a man." Mary scoffs. Shaking her head.

"He's not my man. I'm still married. I just need his help with a business deal." I correct her. "Besides, I didn't know you cared so much."

I don't have the energy to argue with her either.

"I don't."

"Good. Then worry about your own life and stay out of mine."

Mary mumbles something about me not having a marriage to worry about for much longer, and my heart leaps out of my chest wondering if that's why Alexander was here.

Is he planning to divorce me?

Does he still blame me for what went down between us?

For not being woman enough to carry our son to term?

I miss him.

It took some time, but I've finally gotten to a place where seeing him doesn't hurt as much. But I'd be lying if I said I was over him.

Some days are better than others, but days like today... I miss his smile and the way his eyes light up like a Christmas tree when he does. The way he looks at me when he's turned on and wants to rip my clothes off. And the way he showers me in a thousand Eskimo kisses.

"You've got that look in your eyes again." Karen nudges me with her shoulder.

"What look?" I frown.

"The I want to fuck something devastatingly handsome, tall, and British, look."

Narrowing my eyes at her, I shake my head. Both for her choice in words and for accurately knowing my thought process.

"He doesn't want me." I remind her.

"Are you sure? Because the look on his face when he saw you walk in with Sam said otherwise."

It did?

"Tell me something... why would a man who claims he wants nothing to do with me stay in touch with my mother."

"Good question." Karen aims her gaze at my mom. "Want me to find out?"

"You know I do." I reply. Making sure Mary and Jackson aren't eavesdropping on our conversation.

"Give me like... ten minutes, and you'll have your answer." A mischievous smile forms on her face as she waggles her brow at me.

I can't help but laugh as she disappears from the room. Leaving me alone with Mary and Jackson who turn up the PDA because they know I'm watching. But rather than get angry or upset, I pity them.