CHAPTER 46: Things are going to be more complicated than planned.

Unaware of Eunseom's turmoil, Tanya continued her day as usual. Fortunately for Saya, Whan had already left the Shrine when he went out of the room with his wife. A little flustered by what happened between them, Tanya felt like her cheeks were still burning and it was difficult to glance at Saya who, from the smile on his face that he didn't manage to erase, definitely enjoyed the situation way too much. During their usual walk in the gardens of the Shrine, she tried to focus on the vibrant colors of the flowers and the joyful songs of the birds. And the fresh wind caressing her face helped her to regain a bit of composure. Then, hands in hands, she accompanied Saya back to the Palace. 

They arrived in front of the stairs at the same time as the Queen, her regal presence exuding an air of triumph and superiority.

Tanya didn't miss to notice the sly smile on Taealha's face as they approached her and she had to make a huge effort not to show that it upset her

Tanya didn't miss to notice the sly smile on Taealha's face as they approached her and she had to make a huge effort not to show that it upset her. She freed her hand from Saya's and just when she was about to say something, Saya did before her: "May I have a word with you?" he asked.

"Again?" Taealha asked as she took a few steps even closer, "I thought you had already told me everything necessary this morning. And yet, here you are, wanting to make me waste my precious time again. Tell me: how is our dear Enoria? Has she appreciated the small gifts I have left for her?"

"Why are you doing this?" Tanya stepped in, "those people had done nothing wro-"

"Those people," Taealha sharply cut her off as she looked at her with menacing eyes, "are traitors to the crown of Arthdal. Tagon and I rule above all that breath. But those people shamelessly decided not to recognize our authority, how could that be nothing?"

"Just like different people follow different gods, people should have the right to choose who they want to follow. It doesn't mean they defy or deny your authority so please release them," Tanya pleaded, "I am sure Enoria would be willing to listen to your conditions if you safely let them go."

Taealha huffed. "Yes, I am sure she would but it wouldn't be that fun, would it? You should have seen her, on her knees, lowering herself to beg me, it was such a pleasant view to see that savage wolf turned into a begging puppy. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you could say or do something that would help her, nothing will work so don't waste your time and mind your own business. I am sure that, smart as she thinks she is, she must have warned you not to interfere in the little game that we are playing."

"If it's a game, the two parts should be having fun, shouldn't they?" Saya intervened.

"She is not having fun because she is losing, and I am thoroughly enjoying her losing," Taealha responded, her voice dripping with arrogance before she glanced at Yangcha behind the High Priestess who she knew was probably boiling over behind his usual impassibility.

"Enjoying playing with someone's feelings, it's cruelty," Tanya accused.

Taealha's smile widened, reveling in the discomfort she was causing Tanya. "Cruelty is a necessity in a world like ours, my dear Tanya. It's what keeps the weak in check and ensures that power remains where it belongs: with the strong. You would do well to learn that lesson sooner rather than later."