And I couldn't.

Not back then anyway.

I could barely get out of bed back then. And I spent many of those nights crying. Wondering if my father was even going to be alive when I woke up the next day.

My father was my world, and I was his. I thought Jackson understood that, but I was wrong. And after suffering the biggest heartache a daddy's girl can endure, I lost the love of my life. Which further destroyed me in ways I've yet to recover from.

The crazy part is, even after he left me for and married my sister Mary, my love for him still hasn't gone away. Thankfully, he couldn't be bothered to look at me. So, he doesn't notice me stealing glances of him. And I can't decide if I'm hurt about it or grateful.

"I can't complain." I flash Christian a brief smile.

"Still single?" My mom asks. And my sister Mary's ears perk up.

She's been dying for me to move on and stop pining away for Jackson so she can ease her own guilt.

"Why are you all here?" I ask. Ignoring the slight jab. "It's been eleven years."

"The businesses your father built aren't doing so well." Mom tells me. Getting straight to the point. No B.S. And as expected, this little visit is about money. Namely... mine. Or what little bit they believe I have left. "I spoke to your aunt Bernie who told me the money you kept from your father's will has been accruing interest for the past twelve years. You've accumulated a nice little nest egg."

"Aunt Bernie can get fired for looking into my finances without my permission." I tell her. Shaking my head.

And I should've made that call a long time ago, but it's not Aunt Bernie's fault. She never could stand up to my mother.

Besides, I'd hardly call a million dollars a nest egg. I'm also eternally grateful they have no idea what I've been up to these past eleven years.

Shifting my gaze to Jackson, I ask, "Why not get the money from Jackson? I'm sure he's good for it. As are most of the people at this table."

"Oh, well, we've all got our money tied up in other investments."

And I've got a son to raise, I want to say.

But I'm not that bold.

Nor do I want to introduce my son this way.

So, I keep my mouth shut.

Also, my mother still scares me.

There was a period of my life where I was even convinced she had engineered the cancer that killed my father. That's how diabolical and evil this woman can be. And I am so glad to no longer be up under her thumb.

Not like the rest of my siblings.

"There you are." A rich British accent invades my reality.

Turning it into a nightmare.

My temples throb in response to his voice and his unwanted intrusion.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I don't need this... not now.

"I'm hurt I didn't get an invitation to this little soiree."

"Do you know him?" My mom asks. Raking her eyes over Mr. King.

He's only been here a nanosecond and I'm a million percent certain she's already observed the half a million dollar watch on his wrist, the very expensive Alexander Amosu men's suit he's wearing, his very polished and well-groomed appearance, and his Gucci dress shoes.