Chapter 1: Last First Days

A/N: Hi all! I'm back with another story just like old times! I've actually had this in my drafts for a year now, I hadn't been able to finish it until recently. In celebration of AOT ending soon, I thought why not post and finish this story? This will be an academics rivals/friends to enemies to lovers/slow burn story inspired by the song As it Was by Harry Styles. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing! Updates might be every other day. Also, word of caution that (Y/N) in this story is depicted as someone who has anxiety/panic attacks/low self-esteem and has a father that hits/physically abuses her. Read at your own discretion!

As always, thank you for reading <3 

"In this world, it's just us...you know its not the same as it was" 

Spring had come. The air was crisp and sweet, even with the sun hidden behind a thick blanket of ominous grey clouds. Two kids sat near the ledge of a sidewalk, their knees muddied and their hands sticky from the melting popsicles they grasped. The pavement was littered with colorful diagrams of rocket ships and mechanical parts, drawn intricately by both of the children.

"Say, Hange?" One hummed, chin tiled up to the sky. Neither of them feared the rain. In fact, they welcomed it with open arms.

"Yeah?" The other kid responded, their brown eyes wide with curiosity.

"Do you think our rocket ship would work?" (Y/N) asked as she snapped her popsicle stick in half. "Because, I dunno if we got the parts right and the sun seems really far away."

"It will," Hange promised. They had always been so optimistic, so full of hope. Sometimes, it was contagious. (Y/N)'s heart would bloom with their instilled hope, and she'd find herself looking forward to their shared future. Or at least, what she hoped would be a shared future.

"How long do you think it'll take?"

The thunder rumbled overhead, the branches of nearby trees swaying in the wind. (Y/N) inhaled greedily, taking in the fresh scent of air before rainfall. It was safe to say that spring showers had always been her favorite weather.

"Maybe years. Like ten years?" Hange shrugged. They leaned back on their arms, their fingers brushing (Y/N)'s. She didn't move, comforted by her best friend's touch. "But it'll be fine. We'll build our rocket ship, go to the sun, and become famous. Everyone will know our names. They might make fun of us now, but ten years in the future, they'll be begging to take a ride on our ship."

At the tender age of nine, both Hange and (Y/N) had experienced the lengths to which kids could be cruel. The two were just a bit different from the rest. They might have enjoyed hobbies that other kids could have deemed peculiar, but that didn't mean they deserved to be picked on. The two had found each other that way. In the playground, all alone, with no one to talk to.

"Will we be together then?" (Y/N) asked, although she already knew the answer. She and Hange were inseparable. She didn't need any other friends. She didn't need anyone else. If Hange was by her side, she would be happy.

"Of course!" Hange exclaimed. "We have to be together. You promised me you'd help me on this, right? You can't back out now, (N/N)."

"I'm not," (Y/N) promised, linking her pinky with Hange's. "I'll always be by your side."

The promises that the two made on that cloudy day in March would soon be forgotten. Years would pass. Both would grow. They'd stay together for a long time. The two would be best friends for years to come, never needing anyone else. But things changed. Somewhere along the way, the promises were broken, and their inseparable duo would break apart.