XXI - The Devil In Disguise

Start from the beginning

I stayed in the study, and later that day, after Klaus had taken his plan to action, he came into the study. It was close to nighttime, and he was surprised to see me sitting at his desk as I read through one of Elijah's journals.

The journal was from 1491, one of my favourite times. It was right before we met Katerina, and for a short time, we had been content. It was ruined when Klaus' thoughts of being a hybrid were once again trumping the thoughts of his family being happy.

However, as always, Elijah didn't write a single word about the wonderful times that the two of us had experienced together. I had always been disappointed that he never wrote about me, but never told him so. 

Klaus walked over to the desk, sitting down and staring at me silently. 

I ignored it for a moment, but then sighed and smiled at him, closing the book and leaning on the desk. "Is there something that you need?"

It was only then that I saw the expression on his face. 

"Klaus, is something wrong?"

He still stayed silent, and I bit my lip. "I'm going to get ready for tonight... Rebekah is lending me one of her dresses. I'll meet you down here in half an hour, alright?"

He nodded slowly, and I left.

I kept it simple, as always. I curled my hair, and put on the dress that Rebekah had asked me to wear. It was black with slightly sheer sleeves, and was layered diagonally at my waist. I wasn't a big fan of dresses, I was more of a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl, but this particular one was absolutely gorgeous. 

I met Klaus at the bottom of the stairs, and saw that he had definitely changed his mood. He grinned widely when he saw me. "You look amazing."

I smiled. "Thank you, you don't look too bad yourself."

He wore a completely black suit, which I loved. Black was my preferred colour on him, and since I had told him that earlier today, he had obviously changed his idea for the suit he was going to wear. I caught sight of a white one in his room, but he had decided against it. 

He held out his arm to me, and I took it graciously as we waited for Rebekah to come down as well. Unlike me, she more than an hour to get ready, while I took less than ten minutes.

He led us out to the car he had rented for tonight, and we drove to the abbattoir, where Marcel was holding the party. 

"What's she doing here?" Klaus asked as we came into the building, and I soon figured out why he said that. Cami was here, which wasn't good. This was a party for vampires specificially, and she was a human. One human in a building filled with vampires. This might not turn out very well.

"What better way to distract Marcel than to put his very human new girl in a room chalked full of vampires?" She asked, right before she walked up to Cami. 

Cami looked great, and it seemed that Klaus agreed with the way that he looked at her. He hadn't looked at a girl like that since the night that Caroline showed up to his party in the dress that he bought for her.

Klaus and I walked over to the two, right as Cami saw us.

"Is he the infamous on-again, off-again?" She asked, seeming slightly jealous. Or maybe it was nervousness. 

"He's the brother, actually," he smiled. "And my sister is right. You do look stunning."

"You clean up pretty well yourself," she smiled playfully.

"Well, don't be fooled, love," he grinned. "I'm the devil in disguise."

I smiled. "You sure are close enough," I said, patting his shoulder. "I need a drink," I stated, and Rebekah followed after me.

When I did get the glass of bourbon that I ordered, I saw Marcel walking over to Rebekah and I, so I immediately went the other way. I walked up to Klaus and Cami, but Klaus quickly excused himself and pulled me to the side of the room.

"Rose, I need to-" he was interrupted by Rebekah showing up, and didn't continue.

"You really are a hideously evil little thing, aren't you?" Klaus muttered as he stared at Cami and Marcel dancing in the middle of the room.

"Nonsense," Rebekah said. "They're perfect for each other. You wanted Marcel distracted, voila."

My lips parted when I saw Diego show up at the entrance, a worried and nervous expression on his face. He walked up to Marcel, who quickly pulled away from Cami to talk to him. He suddenly became angry, and excused himself from Cami's precense. A moment later, he had shoved Thierry up against the wall, his hand around his throat while Diego had to push the two apart.

"This is it..." I whispered, right after I saw Rebekah leave. "You planned this. You planned for one of the few friends I have in this town to get killed," I said angrily, turning to face Klaus.

"Jo, I-"

"Don't call me that!" I hissed, shoving him away. "This is your fault. Thierry killed another vampire, didn't he? That's why you wanted them to go to the cauldron. You arranged for Katy to get attacked, and for Thierry to kill the vampire that did it, so that he would get punished. You want to take down Marcel by hurting one of my friends," I growled.

He sighed, seeming exasperated. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "But who do you care for more? Thierry, or Elijah?"

I let out a deep breath, shaking my head. "Elijah, of course. But I didn't think that you would do something like this, Nik. Not when you knew that I cared about Thierry."

He didn't try to stop me when I moved to the stairs, walking up to the balcony where Marcel was currently shouting at Thierry. But I froze when I heard the words that made me want to ruin the whole plan and tell Marcel what really happened.

"For the crime of murdering one of his own, I sentence Thierry Vanchure to one hundred years in the Garden."

"And it begins," I heard Klaus whisper from behind me.