Chapter 8: Them Rats!

It had been 4 months since the night of the ceremony. The world had felt as if it ended for Lia and her Cardinal that night, but slowly things between them started to resemble how they had been before. Everyone was careful around them now. Clearly the usual questions couples get about children were absolutely off the table and thankfully no brother, sister, or ghoul had been dumb enough to forget and ask. Some days it even felt like it had never happened in the first place.

Distractions luckily were in abundance for them. The Cardinal had started touring with Ghost and the new single "Rats" was doing incredibly well for them. The Cardinal's first album, "Prequelle", was also about to be released. Lia was so proud of him and just how much he had blossomed into his new responsibility. He strutted about the stage, commanding attention especially when in the tight leather pants, belting out songs like he had been doing it his whole life. He oozed sex appeal but was still as adorably awkward as always.

The touring life for both of them was going so well. Lia had even successfully rekindled her friendship with Mountain. The two hung out all the time. She absolutely loved attending the rehearsals and the rituals. She was able to spend so much time with both Copia and the ghouls since Sister had given her a leave from her duties at the abbey. Even Terzo had been less obnoxious to be around. He hadn't however spoken to Lia or the Cardinal directly since they were together in the meeting. Terzo didn't know what he would even say...still feeling like his own selfishness may have somehow contributed to their loss. For the most part everything seemed to be going well. But despite it all there always seemed to be something missing.

No matter how many things were constantly going on, there was always that small thing, lingering just on the edge of their thoughts at all times. The Cardinal and Lia still really wanted a baby. Copia knew the subject was especially rough for Lia. He knew that she would be an amazing mother. In fact he had recently mentioned on multiple occasions that they should try again. They were not prepared last time, they could have a second chance. The prospect of having a child had been such a delicate situation. Despite them both wanting it the fear of the past and the worries of the future had caused many arguments. Copia wanted to move forward and continue to actively try. Lia wanted nothing more than to have a child with her Cardinal but was absolutely terrified of it happening again. The visions of her blood-soaked dress seared into her memory.

Copia's frustrations with Lia came to a head one night during a break in the ritual when the subject came up once again. Tensions were high. Lia had avoided Copia's touch anytime there was even a glimmer of possibility that she might become pregnant. The Cardinal became flustered, not only sexually but also at his complete inability to pull Lia out fo this place of darkness she was in. He had become more aware of the type of people in the crowd of the rituals, sometimes he could even see children present. Tonight had been such a night and all he could only think of how much he wanted that with Lia. So during the break in the show and for some reason or another he was unable to hold back his frustrations and came at her full blast.

"You know tonight after the show would be a good time to try again." He said while drinking his water and resting up, it had already been a very physically tiring evening. Lia didn't say anything. Anytime he brought it up she would shut down a bit.

"I don't know..." She said quietly hoping that he would move on and drop the conversation. The way she had gotten him to all the other times before.

"You can not blame yourself for this caro. What happened was not your fault and I didn't stop loving you because we lost a child!" he yelled, grabbing her shoulders hard. She was shocked. He had never spoken to or grabbed her like that before. She could see the hurt in his eyes.

"I just don't know if I can do it again, Copia. It won't last." She said, starting to cry. Worried that he would be done with her and finally move on. After all there were, especially now, plenty of women who would throw themselves at the chance to bear him a child. Copia loosened his grip realizing the depths of his anger. He felt instant remorse in treating Lia this way.