Chapter 10: Black Light Guides You

Days had passed since the fight occurred... and Copia had only vaguely described the events to Lia. She assumed, rightly so, that it was worse than he had claimed it to be. She wasn't stupid...and she didn't think he thought so, but she knew he would try to spare her feelings. Clearly he might be the only one who would. It wasn't enough that she wasn't able to do the one thing, SHE herself wanted to do, but to have the insult added to injury definitely weighed on her daily. She often in the following days had considered surrendering to Papa Nihil's will and telling her Papa that maybe he should do it...Maybe he should take another Prime Mover. The sheer thoughts of Copia possibly being with another woman, one that could give him and the ministry what they wanted, plagued her.

Lia knew that Copia's dedication and commitment to the church, the ministry, and Lucifer himself meant more than anything to him. She felt awful for him having to choose between them. She blamed herself. She tried to keep her mind occupied on any other subject she could think of. Most days she was only half successful. Her favorite distraction was helping Primo tend his garden.

Such a magical and mystical place, located on the southern part of the grounds and surrounded by evergreen shrubs. It bore centuries old stone paths lined with wall germander that had been hand laid , laced throughout. Home to a robust greenhouse, with the most beautiful flowers and herbs mixed within. The smell was intense and Lia would often return to the Papal suite smelling of lemon balm and mint. Those two scents seem to always stick to her but there were so many things fighting to hit the nose all at once. It was truly an experience to set foot inside.

This had also been Lia's newly assigned post within the abbey. Her previous tasks had been delegated to other sisters with less standing. She loved learning about the herbs and their mystical and medicinal properties. This was truly an area Primo excelled in. There was no doubt in her mind as to why he was the one who always selected them for the most important rituals. Work in the garden wasn't always fun. Of course she could have done without the weed pulling and shoveling, but as Primo explained, it was a necessary task to get the best out of their garden. The close attentiveness and affection placed on the plants from those who worked it truly made the difference, he thought, in their potency.

Primo was much older now than when he had taken over, and it had become harder for him to do these tasks alone. He was glad to have Lia and a few other siblings to help. Lia enjoyed Primo's company anyway, and his closeness with her Papa made him an ideal confidant when both she and Copia needed advice. During one such afternoon, Lia and Primo took a break from tending to the weeds and the nuisance that they had been invading plants on the south wall, and decided to have lunch with Copia in the garden. A rare treat for them indeed as normally Primo liked to keep this garden as undisturbed as possible.

"It truly is beautiful here." Lia said. "You really have done such an amazing job Primo, I can't imagine what the abbey would do without you." Copia could see the immense happiness the garden brought her.

"Well one day Rosalia I will need someone to take it over for me and I think you may be the one to do it." Primo chuckled while drinking one of his famous herbal concoctions, one to help soothe his aching joints.

"Oh... Primo I could never..." Lia paused.

"It is meant to be passed down Rosalia, I won't live forever and you and Papa will be more than capable to manage it without me" He said. The sentiment was bittersweet for all three of them but Lia would absolutely accept.

Of course I will take care of it, Primo." She said, "But I don't know who I would pass it down to..." She said, realizing what had just come from her mouth. Copia placed his hand over hers to help her ground herself.

"We will work something out caro." Copia said, as Primo nodded. Primo always seemed to act as if all things would be fine. Lia wished she knew how he could do that. She thought he might be reading tea leaves again. Maybe she'd ask him to do a reading for her.