Chapter 4: Absolution

Days now had passed and the sleepless nights had begun to take their toll on Terzo. He made his way down to his office and sat down in his favorite chair, taking a deep breath. He needed to get out of his head. At first he couldn't understand why this affected him so. So he had a special affinity for Lia, his sorella so what? He didn't think much of it before. Why did he continue to feel this way? Seeing her like that, with him... well it hurt.

He had, without his consent, fallen for her. He ventured into his own imaginings. Himself and her embracing and making love together. He had these for other sisters before, lust never escaped him... so why was this so different with sorella. For one reason or another he had tucked those thoughts away when it came to her. Maybe he was afraid of anything real. She was different from the others. So kind and sweet. He felt he could be himself around her. Clearly now it may be too late to do anything about it...Copia had beaten him to the punch.

Since the incident he struggled with his thoughts, talking himself in and out of so many scenarios he had lost count. Maybe things weren't too late? He, after all, had many flings so he could hardly be upset with her for this discretion. Especially since neither her or the Cardinal knew of his feelings. He was a reasonable man.. maybe the thing with the Cardinal wasn't serious. He'd have to find out and soon.

Secondo sat on the patio outside of the papal offices, on the balcony overlooking the church yard, his favorite spot. He had his papers for his sermon held in his right hand, studying them closely, preparing for what he would say the following day. He slipped his cappuccino enjoying the taste. Surprisingly he caught sight of his younger brother walking over to join him. It was not like Terzo to willingly sit down with him. The two often butted heads and so this was truly a surprise indeed.

"Terzo?" He said a bit confused. "Is everything okay? You do not normally come out here." He said, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

"Yes....well I didn't sleep well so I thought coming out here and feeling the sun may improve my mood and maybe stealing some of the coffee may help." Terzo said. Clearly there was something wrong and Secondo could sniff out discontent like a bloodhound.

"What is troubling you my brother that you are having so much problems sleeping?" He asked, somewhat hoping that Terzo had changed his mind about leaving Ghost.

"Well...it tis really nothing. Honestly." He said drifting off into his thoughts even while saying the words.

"Heh...bullshit. I can tell when there is something going on. Are you having second thoughts about the Cardinal taking over for you...I can't say I disa-" he said as Terzo cut him off.

"It's a sister." Terzo said, rubbing his eyes, completely wiped from the evening of no sleep.

"...oh..." Secondo said, surprised but intrigued. "Are we talking about a situation that will only get worse after the next 9 months or is it something else?" He snickered smugly. Thinking to himself. Leave it to Terzo to knock up a sister just as he is trying to lessen his responsibility.

" No..no...nothing like that" He said with a wave of dismissal. "...but I...do you know Sister Rosalia-sorella?" He asked.

"Ah, the one that was helping the Cardinal these past few weeks? Yes I am somewhat familiar with her, why?" Secondo asked, now fully committed to his curiosity on exactly what was going on..

"Did you know she was fucking the Cardinal?" Terzo asked. Secondo choked on his cappuccino.

"um...I did not but good for him I guess. Why is this of concern Terzo? We're the two of you together and I missed it?" He asked, cleaning himself from the mess he had made with his outburst.