Chapter 3: Ceremony & Devotion

The next several weeks after that night were an absolute whirlwind. A blur of sensual appetites and exploration. The two were so engrossed at times they would forget themselves, leading to Lia and the Cardinal being late for several appointments. Their wanting for one another was insatiable.

The feelings they brought out in each other were undeniably immaculate. Copia and Lia tried so hard to control themselves and the fear of how everyone would act or the consequences of the high clergy finding out, were looming over their heads. It did not stop them. They forced themselves at times to tone it down, and not make things known in public... but even that was getting harder.

Agh...Mass feels so much longer than usual today. Lia thought to herself. Her only cares were fixed on the Cardinal. The two mostly rendezvoused in his office, but many places in the abbey were baptized with their lust. Lia couldn't help but bring her mind back to several occasions where the dark box meant for confessing sins had bore witness to theirs over and over again.

For a change, Papa Emeritus I, Primo, was heading the black mass. He was very much a purveyor of the old ways of worship unlike his successors. His strict discipline with his own ritual practices and stern appearance at times would have others think he was a hard man...but in fact he was not. Lia had gone to him many times in confidence for counsel. He was much more kind-hearted and personable than his worn and dark appearance would have you believe.

He would spend hours with the siblings of sin talking about rituals and incense. Lia usually liked his sermons, that is on days her mind wasn't on the Cardinal...which lately was all the time. The hall started to clear and Lia realized she hadn't heard anything that Primo had said. She cringed at herself for being so single minded. As the brothers and sister filtered out and the hall became empty, she was left alone...with Copia. He walked up to her at the end of her pew and slowly swiveled his head around to observe the room for potential onlookers.

"Well hello Sister Lia, I see you are looking well today." he said with a smile. Lia acknowledged him with a nod and started to leave her pew when he would not clear her path.

"Is there something I can help you with, Cardinal?" she asked. He grabbed her hands gently and she looked up into his eyes.

"I-I wondered if you would accompany me this evening for dinner?" He asked. She was so confused.

Dinner? Like an actual date? She thought. She smiled back at him and answered.

"Of course Cardinal, it would be my pleasure." Lia acquiesced, was still unsure of what the future for her and the Cardinal looked like. The lust was real there was no doubt about that, but she wondered if there was more. There was for her. She could feel that she had become achy at thoughts of them not being together and though she had not quite admitted to herself yet, she had fallen in love. She wondered if he was feeling anything more for her....maybe tonight, she would find out.

The chimes rang, signaling the change of the hour. Lia was walking back towards the church yard to meet up with Beatrice when her wrist was grabbed from behind. Thinking that the Cardinal had become even bolder in public all of a sudden...she hesitated to turn, when she heard a familiar voice, one that was not his.

"Sorella! Where are you off too this fine afternoon?" It was Terzo, back earlier than expected. He was not predictable to say the least and it was just like him to have told Sister the wrong information so that he could slip back home without fuss.

Well so much for all the work on the sign. Bea is gonna be pissed. She thought to herself but was happy to see Papa home. Despite the other sisters lusting for him, Terzo and Lia had been friends, to a point. She figured it must have been nice for him to have a sister who listened to him. Truly listened and didn't just drool at the thought of riding him into oblivion. She didn't know much about him from before she came to the abbey, but enjoyed hearing him sing and play kazoo, which she thought was hilarious.