Chapter 12 - Knocks

Suddenly a knock interrupts Legion and me as it sounds through the big doors. Legion pulls back as I open my eyes in shock scared that someone may find us in this vulnerable position. I push Legion away even further but he doesn't budge at all and instead the force sends me back stumbling.

Legion sighs clearly frustrated as he wearily press the bridge of his nose. "Not now!" He commands loudly and the intruder outside hastily retreats, obedient to his order.

He turns is focus back to me his demeanor now tensed and without wasting a moment, I speak quickly before he can say another word that might put me in a trance like the one I had just been in.

"I have to go." I try to assert but almost stumble over my words as I hurriedly talk. Legion opens his mouth to reply but I cut him off. "And I really did mean it when I said I wanted to get to know you."

A subtle transformation sweeps over Legion as my words reach him, softening his eyes along with his rigid exterior and I turn to leave. My steps feel heavy as I make my way towards the doors saddened that my plan failed so miserably.

As I approach the doors, ready to exit, Legions voice cuts through the air. "My mother died giving birth to me." His tone is gentle, very unlike Legions usual cold and harsh one.

I come to a halt shocked by his words. As I stand there silent and taken aback, I grapple with how to respond to his revelation. Just as I'm processing his disclosure, he speaks once more. "Your turn."

I take a deep breath steadying myself before I turn around to face Legion. His eyes find mine within a second and I'm immediately overwhelmed by the intensity of his gaze. Feeling a rush of vulnerability, I instinctively try to evade direct eye contact, it's as if his stare has the power to see right through me.

I internally struggle for a few moments. "My father disappeared before I was born." I finally find the courage to speak. "Or rather left us." I quickly correct myself with a solemn tone.

Despite never having met my father it's still something that cuts deep. He didn't even have a chance to meet me before he decided I was unwanted... It's a void that haunts me, a missing piece of my identity that leaves me with unanswered questions.

Legion breaks our eye contact for the first time, looking to the side with tight brows as if in deep thought before meeting my gaze again. Perhaps these types of conversations are too much for him?

I scan his face for more emotion that might reveal what is causing such sudden reaction but find none.

"We don't have to do this." I offer in an attempt to make him more comfortable as he seems out of his element.

I've never seen Legion break eye contact before...

He doesn't say anything for what feels likes an eternity with a somewhat puzzled look on his face, however it's always hard to tell with that man. Just as I begin to wonder if he'll speak again, he finally opens his mouth."As you already know, thanks to Finley, my dad was an..." he hesitates, searching for the right words, "interesting man."

As soon as Finley's name escapes his lips, guilt surges through me like a relentless tide. I can't shake the fact that I've gone behind Legion's back, not once, but twice. Avoiding direct eye contact, I avert my gaze, fearing he'd catch a glimpse of my remorseful expression, betraying the sorry guilt gnawing at my conscience

When I don't say anything he continues. "He-"

Another knock interrupts him and he immediately goes silent and shuts his eyes in frustration, trying to contain his annoyance before responding to the disturbance with a sharp, "Yes!?" His voice carry an irritated tone as he directs his attention to the doors.