Chapter 2 - Farewell

Mate?! What? The word rings in my ears.

No this can't be. I am a white wolf, and according to the legend only a white wolf can get a mate if they contain around the same amount of power... or if they are a white wolf.

And he is certainly not a white wolf.

I shiver thinking about his completely black fur.

I look him up and down.

How much power is he containing?

His grip tightens around my hand. It appears he's not too fond of me questioning whether or not he is my mate.

And yet I can't help but frown my eyebrows while saying, "this can't be." My voice is dripping with disbelief.

There's a sharp intake of breath, then in less than a second his mouth is right next to my shoulder.

I'm too slow to react as I stand there like a deer caught in headlights.

My reflexes must be slow because of him.

I'm frozen.

His fresh scent has me in a spell.

And somehow his presence is calming yet intense at the same time.

I'm pulled back to reality when he breathes in my scent. He lets a satisfied exhale escape his lips and I catch a faint whisper from him that sounds like "it is true."

"You are mine." He then says sternly, while letting his mouth hover over my shoulder. I can literally feel his words on my shoulder.

"No I'm not!" I shoot back in protest without much thought.

Anyone standing near us can feel his anger radiating off him as I say that.

But instead of yelling at me, he lets his lips grace the skin where my neck and shoulder connect. Confidently letting his lips hover there.

My eyes glow again, while my body fills with anticipation and electricity. What's happening?

And that's when I remember something through my clouded mind. The bite of your mate is a step closer to sealing the bond.

My heart picks up it's pace as I realize that this does in fact confirm our bond.

His teeth teasingly touch the skin near my shoulder, and the act feels like a splash of water to my face.

I an instant push him away easily and he stumbles a bit due to him being caught off guard.

I must have an effect on him too.

At first he looks confused as I just broke his daze, but then his jaw tightens and his eyes turn dark in an instant. He tries to walk up to me again, but I step away from him and the tree.

He stops and tilts his head in challenge.

Then he takes one more step.

I take a step back. "Stop." My stern voice travels through the forest.

He stops and tightens his jaw with so much force it looks like his teeth might break. "Show your King respect." His voice is cold, as his eyes dark with a booming storm.

King? He doesn't look that old.

How old is my mate?

I cringe "You're king Octavius?" I question looking at him with resentment while flashes of a decapitated white wolf runs through my mind.

No one has heard from him in a while. And I doubt that this is him. And if it is... I'm truly in a lot of danger.

"No." He speaks up angered. "I'm King Legion Winterbourne." His voice is now pure power and pride.