Chapter Eighteen

*Beep Beep Beep*

My alarm blares in my ear waking me up. I turn it off and groan loudly. I throw the warm covers off of my body, embracing the cold air instantly. I place my feet on the chilly floor and head to the bathroom. I pee and brush my teeth then turn the shower on. I get the water as hot as I can stand it and turn my speaker on, connecting my phone. Once I pick the playlist I want, I hop inside the shower and sing along to the music while I wash my hair and body.

After about twenty minutes, I turn the water off and wrap a towel around myself. I dry my hair with another towel and walk into my bedroom. I grab a hoodie and some joggers along with some undergarments. I take my time this morning doing my routine. I am in no hurry at all to go back to school today, especially after what happened yesterday.

I check my phone for notifications and see a new number messaged me. I click on the message and see "Stop looking for your brother if you know what's good for you".

What the hell? I message the person back asking who they are. I sit on my bed waiting for a response, receiving nothing.

I put my clothes on and head downstairs with my bag. I chuck my bag onto the couch and hear a slight groan of pain. "What the-, Jake?" I question and walk toward the couch.

"What do you have in here bricks?" He groans and pushes my bag onto the floor.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were there," I apologize.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a yogurt for breakfast. "You better get ready, or we're going to be late," I say with a mouthful of yogurt.

"I'm already dressed," he says and rolls off the couch.

He walks into the kitchen and continues, "I woke up around 5 o'clock this morning. I got dressed and passed out on the couch watching some movie."

"Do you know this number?" I ask Jake passing him my phone.

He reads the number then reads the messages. "No, no idea. Who all knows you're looking for Daniel?" He asks passing my phone back to me.

"Just you, Brad, Gus, and Summer. I don't really have a lot of friends Jake," I explain.

"Well, I didn't know if you had told your discord friends or not," he shrugs.

"I haven't been online in a while. I need to do that," I noted.

"Weird, keep me updated on that," he states.

I nod and put my phone in my pocket. "Alright, let's get going," he says.

~~~~

Jake doesn't leave my side at all. He walks me to the cafeteria, sits at my table, and then walks me to my locker before taking me to class. "You really don't have to walk me everywhere," I tell him.

"I'm not walking you everywhere, I have the morning shift, and Gus has the afternoon shift," he explains as a matter of fact.

I roll my eyes at him and walk into my first period class. Not long after, the bell rings and everyone swarms into the classroom. The teacher walks inside, and class begins.

~~~~~~~~~

It's weird not having Brad here. He's usually the one to crack a joke and fill the silence. Without him here, it's quiet and almost mundane. Gus tries to crack small jokes, but he's too timid. He needs to relax.

I sit in the gym watching Gus practice. I've managed to dodge most of the popular kids today. Surprisingly, no one has messed with me today. It's a shock even to me. The bell rings dismissing us home. I gather my things as Gus walks over to me. "What did you think?" He asks, sweat drenching his clothes.