Chapter Seventeen

The bell rings dismissing classes. I gather my things and head to my locker. I drop off my history book and head to the library. I put my stuff down and immediately start putting books back on the shelves. I hope Bradley's okay. I wonder what happened. I hope he comes in here...

Twenty minutes pass, and I've finished two carts of books that needed to be put away. The little bell on the door dings, and I look up to see Augustus. "Hey," I say looking at him confused. "What's up?"

"What's up? Haven't you heard?" He asks all distraught.

"No, I haven't heard anything," I respond.

"Well," he says and leans against the desk with his hand under his chin. "Bradley Johnson and Brock Cooper got into a fight today, and Brad beat the shit out of Brock," he explains.

"What?! What happened?" I ask dumbfounded.

"No one knows," he answers. "They say Brock just walked into Coach Clifford's classroom and Brad jumped up and started beating the shit out of him."

Did Brad see what happened in the hallway? Why didn't he stop it when it happened? Why would he beat the shit out of him? Does he know him personally?

"Has anyone spoke with Brad?" I continue to question.

"No, he's still in the principal's office. Some are saying he may be kicked off the football team because of Brock's injuries," Gus states and stands up straight.

The little bell rings again and this time it's Bradley. I stand up from the desk and stare at him in disbelief.

"Brad!" Gus exclaims opening his arms up wide. "What happened?" Gus asks letting his arms fall down.

"I need to speak with Sunshine, alone." Brad demands.

Gus is taken back by his statement and so am I. "Alright, catch ya later?" Gus says and rubs the back of his neck while walking toward the door.

I keep my eyes on Brad as he watches Gus leave the library. He turns his head back toward me and looks me dead in the eyes, and all I see is sympathy.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't come to the library. I'm sorry I didn't walk you to class, and I'm sorry I won't be able to protect you the rest of this week," he apologizes.

I shake my head because I am taken back again. He notices my confusion, "I heard about how Brock treated you in the library and the hallway."

I lower my head at the mention of the hallway incident. "I should have been there. I should have done something as it was happening." He rambles.

I keep my head down and my mouth shut. "Sunshine, please say something."

"I don't know what you want me to say. I wish that it never happened. I wish I could do something instead of just taking all this torment," I say still looking at the ground.

He stands there quietly, not knowing what to say.

"I want you to keep someone with you at all times. Walk with someone to class and to your locker. I'll talk to Gus; you talk to Summer." He finally responds.

"I'm not going to ask someone to protect me. I can manage on my own," I reply.

"Sunny-" he starts to retaliate, but I do the same.

"No, I'm not a child. I don't need someone to walk me to classes. I just need people to leave me alone. I don't even do anything to receive the torture I go through. I'm only going through this because of my stepfamily. Once I can move out, everything will work in my favor, but, for right now, I have to endure the pain and suffering. But I will not ask anyone to go out of their way to help me. I never have, and I never will." I stand my ground.