Ch.16 In This Skin

Lay Low

!Link                                                 Faron Region

I am feeling rather unwell.

I've come down with a malady of sorts. My throat tingles with discomfort. There is pressure that throbs at my temples. My muscles are weary down to the bone.

My being is saturated with an exhaustion I haven't felt since I awoke from the Shrine of Resurrection.

Inronically, I didn't think I could ever feel more exhausted than when I fought against Ganon. Even then, I possessed more vitality than I do at this moment.

I cannot let Y/N know this. How silly would it be for a knight of my caliber to yield to a minor illness? I hope a night of rest will provide enough rejuvenation to press forward.

I can't help but feel selfish for wasting such precious time coddling myself.

Evil waits for no one; there can be no forbearance.

So, I told myself. I drifted off to sleep with Y/N tuckered out on my shoulder, wishing this moment would last longer than my magic-induced centennial coma.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

The mask was molten on his face.

It had adhered to his flesh as if it were attached with supernatural glue. Kilton couldn't explain it, but the mask seemed to pulsate with life as he felt it with his fingertips. The ridges of the purple and black lines had percolated into his pores and become one with his flesh.

It was his skin now.

His to commit unutterable horrors in.

As was done to him by the biggest leeches of Hyrule, the Hylians.

The surge of power coursing through him was unlike anything he'd ever felt before. Kilton had never felt in control of his life.

But with the mask of legend, he was no longer Kilton.

He had noticed the difference in his self-esteem the moment he put the mask on. The voices in his mind, all the taunts and jeers he'd received throughout his life, had subsided. Yes, like a mighty monsoon, all his self-deprecating thoughts had slowed at the ocean of power now roaring within his mind.

All thanks to Majora's Mask.

Now Kilton couldn't lie; he was afraid. The voice was quite crass. So authoritative was this voice now in control that Kilton's own could no longer be heard.

He wanted to know control. But by allowing something else to control him, was that really what it meant to be in control?

Kilton looked up, his irises flaring at the sight of the Blood Moon hanging in the sky. A decoration symbolizing the carnage that was coming for Hyrule. He thrust both hands forward into the air, his fingers splayed as he brought them into his palms as fists. He tugged his arms down, observing the massive orb of fire like a bead on an invisible string sliding toward earth.

Ever so slightly.

Because even though Kilton could end this all now, there was one thing holding him back.

A thought that had not been vanquished by the control of the mask.

If he destroyed Hyrule,  all life would cease to exist, Kilton included.