I scan the space one last time before smiling in certainty and clasping my hands in front of me.

"I'm done."

"You sure about that? I still see some pink." Darius quirks a brow. His deep voice dripping with tease.

I tut but the smile returns. I can't help it. I always feel happy when I shop. Especially in my favourite stores when they have an endless array of new items.

"Let's ring these up for you." The woman says and walks us over to the counter.

"Miss Winters."

I face the man behind the smooth marble and mirror his grin.

"I was betting that we'd see you within the week." His eyes flash to the many pieces I've chosen. "And as always, you did not disappoint."

"It's nice to see you. How are you?"

"Very well, thank you. And yourself? Your mother?"

"We're good."

"Wonderful to hear. And who is this young man? Is he your boyfriend?"

I shake my head. "My friend."

"Hm."

Once everything is secured in multiple bags and boxes, I reach into my little purse to collect my card holder but once I retrieve it and turn to pay, Darius is already stepping back.

"I'm sure we'll see you again soon, dear. Take care."

Darius holds onto most of the bags so there's only one left for me to carry.

"Give it to me." He opens his hand. They're huge, I'm now noticing. There are three in it but he still has room.

"It's fine. I can hold it. Do you want to go anywhere?"

"I'm good."

"Are you sure?"

"Don't you remember what I told you before we came in?"

"Alright. I think we should leave, then? I'm pretty sure it's past eight."

"I don't give a fuck about the time. But sure."

Once we're seated in the car, my bags in the back and him turning the exit, I muster up the courage to speak.

"You didn't have to do that, by the way."

"Do what?"

"Pay. I can do that myself."

"I know."

"Then why did you-?"

"Because I can. Because I wanted to."

"Why?"

"I guess your niceness is rubbing off on me." He shoots me a look full of warning. "You should stop that."

"Stop... being nice?"

"Mhm."

"Why?"

"Because you're making me feel guilty." He mutters. More to himself rather than replying to me.

"For what?"

He touches his tongue to his cheek. "Never mind."

"Well, thank you. And sorry for dragging you out." I smooth my thumb over the back of my other hand as they lie in my lap.

"Do I need to remind you what I said? Don't feel bad. I could have said no."

"Fine." I breathe. "But thank you. Really."