39

-Brianna's POV-

        Today was the last day that Luke and I would be working on our English project, and although I was sad, my mind was on what people were saying yesterday about our relationship.  I felt so good and confident about it at first, but now I'm not so sure.  Especially with what Ally said...I can't believe her and Luke had a thing!

        My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a car pulling into my driveway, and I automatically knew it was Luke.  Today we were just going to drive around and talk, which sounded nice at first but now I'm not sure what to say.  Luke has no idea what I know about him now, or what I'm thinking.

        I walked out  the door and, even with my negative thoughts, couldn't help but grin at the sight of Luke.  He was on his phone and didn't notice me, so I just climbed into the passenger seat.  He looked over as I climbed in and gave a crooked smile as I shut the door and buckled up.

        "Hey," he greeted, setting his phone down.  I noticed that the smell of smoke wasn't as strong and there was a hint of mint instead.  I furrowed my eyebrows as I noticed an air freshener that wasn't there yesterday.  Luke realized what I was looking at and spoke up.  "I know you don't like the smell of cigarettes, and I saw this when I was in the store and thought to buy it for you."

        I smiled at him.  "Thanks, I could tell that the smell was different already," I thanked him.  It may just be an air freshener, but it meant a lot that he was thinking about me and my comfort.

        "Well, I figured you're going to be in here quite a bit," he said before starting to pull out.

        I sat there, a small smile on my face.  This is just one small reason I want to be with Luke, why I think we can work.  It's the small things that can add up.  But I still thought back to everyone's words as Luke drove. 

        "You obviously don't know Luke.  He plays girls, he doesn't care about them.  The only reason he could be dating you is to take your virginity!"

        "Luke isn't one to date, just mess around"

        "He's no good for you!  He's bad for you, Brianna!"

        "Brie?" Luke snapped me out of my thoughts.

        I blinked a few times and looked over at him.  "What?"

        "I said what are we going to talk about?  It's our last day for the project, but I'm pretty sure we'll be hanging out more," he joked, chuckling at himself.

        I grinned, looking down.  "Yeah...um...I don't know.  We've covered the basics."

        "I guess...but there's more we can talk about," he said.  I just nodded, creating silence between us.  "Are you okay?" Luke asked after a few seconds of nothing.