"We believe a servant of Sauron has taken over my father," Legolas said.

"Servant of Sauron, eh?" Gandalf poked Thranduil with his staff, standing up straight. "No, I do not believe that is the problem. I have not felt his presence or anything like it from him. This is something else, yes, indeed. Something older, perhaps."

"Older than Sauron?" Legolas said incredulously. "That is not even possible. He was here near the beginning of time, I believe. Nothing was before that time."

"That is what we all wish to believe," Gandalf sighed. "But we have been proved wrong. I have travelled long and far, and I have come to the knowledge of a time before Sauron, long before Sauron. Perhaps it was the making of Sauron, I do not know. Perhaps it was the evil that put Sauron into motion all those years ago, but we will never know. This evil feels old." Gandalf leaned in close to Thranduil, laying his hand on the king's forehead. He closed his eyes, murmuring some words softly in a foreign tongue. You watched, intrigued. Suddenly you heard whispers, and you looked around at the others, seeing if they were hearing it as well. They gave no sign; they were intrigued with Gandalf's spell or whatever he was doing. The whispers grew louder, and you put a hand to your head, a dull headache beginning to grow. The voices became clearer, like a dull hissing. But clear.

Y/N.

You looked around, fear spreading through you. But no one had heard the voice. They were all staring at Gandalf, no one even noticing you. You frantically tried to push the voice away, but it didn't leave you.

Yes, I know you can hear me. Don't be afraid.

Who–who are you? you asked shakily. It was like talking to an animal: through the mind communication, but somehow different and more dark. It felt like the dark presence in your mind was roaming your mind.

I am death. You will succumb to the darkness. I will wipe you from this world, for you do not belong here. This body is weak. You will submit to me, and be my body.

You felt your limbs go stiff against your will, and you jerked, trying to control yourself. You felt a slithering, cold presence weave its way throughout your body, your mind, freezing you in place. You writhed, fighting against the pressure. Your body trembled, responding only mildly to your protests. You opened your mouth to scream, and only a small whine escaped you. You looked to the others for help, but they were paying no attention to you. You thrashed harder, and you broke free for an instant, letting out another whine, before the dark presence held you again. You looked around desperately for anyone to notice you, to help you. Your eyes locked with Legolas, wide with desperation. Legolas' eyes widened with horror, and he instantly bolted over to you. He skidded to a stop before you, on hand gripping your shoulder hard and the other gripping your hand.

"Y/N!" Legolas said desperately. "Y/N, focus on me."

You tried to thrash again, but the presence was too strong now, taking control of you. Unable to move, you just stared back at Legolas, frozen in place. Legolas whirled around. "Gandalf!"

Gandalf snapped out of his trance, turning to Legolas and you. His eyes widened and he took a long stride to you, and raised his staff, pointing it directly at your forehead. He whispered a few words, then suddenly the pressure instantly released you, and a screech erupted from the evil voice in your head, and you collapsed to the stone cold ground. Legolas caught you right before you hit the ground, pulling you close.

"Y/N?" he whispered. "Y/N? Stay with us."

You focused on the real figure before you, trying to bring yourself back to reality. Legolas became slowly clearer, and you took a ragged breath. Legolas sighed in relief, while Gandalf leaned down beside you, a worried frown on his face. You blinked several times, then frowned. "What...w-what was that?" you whispered.