Chapter 13: Wants and Needs

Zack skid to a stop in front of my house as Ryan slammed his fist against my front door. I threw the car door open and ran to him. The second he saw me, he staggered back. Relief making his shoulders sag.

"I'm okay." I ran into his arms. He crushed me to his chest and held me there for a small eternity.

"Jesus, Violet." He gasped. "I thought he got you again."

"No I—"

"Where did you go!" He snapped. "Your phone was off. Pennet's back in school and you just left. The office said you weren't checked out and—" he paused, his fingers dug into my back, and he straightened up and pushed me behind him. "You took her."

Zack stood against his car and shook his head. "She wanted to leave. She ran into him after you disappeared."

"Who told you you could just take her out of school?" Ryan stalked forward. I latched onto his arm but he didn't even seem to notice me. "Her mom would lose it if—"

"I think you're the only one that has a problem with me taking her away without your permission." He glanced at me. "Which you don't have any power to give her."

"Violet is my best friend" Ryan snarled. "and I've only ever tried to keep her safe from Pennet and things like you."

"I'm new and all," hZack rolled his eyes. "But the way you've been treating her doesn't seem very friendly."

"You don't know the first thing about our relationship."

"I know when she expressed concern for you, you snapped at her." Zack pushed off the car and strode a few steps closer. "And that you've ghosted her for the entire first month of school knowing she didn't have many friends."

"She had Zink."

"She wanted you." Zack scoffed. "And you couldn't even text her back. She was so worried about you she snuck into your house, and you almost hurt her."

Ryan froze and glanced at me. "That's why you went into my house?"

"I told you I was worried about you already—"

"Because he told you to?"

"What? No—"

Ryan yanked his arm free, and I staggered back as he lunged and grabbed Zack by the throat.

"You almost got her hurt that night—"

"Oh, come on." He laughed. "You wouldn't have hurt your best friend?" Zack grabbed his wrist. "Your kind can't hurt their mate, right?" He leaned closer to Ryan and dropped his voice. "Or was everything you claimed a lie?"

Ryan glanced back at me and dropped Zack. "Get in your car and stay away from Violet."

Zack walked past him and stopped in front of me. "Are you okay if leave?"

I nodded. "I'm fine. Thank you." I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. "You've been great. I'm sorry about Ryan."

"I'll see you at school tomorrow." He glanced back at Ryan. "I imagine you'll be riding with him, right?"

"Yeah," I shrugged because it didn't feel right to run back to Ryan the second he was ready to have me back. "but thank you for giving me a ride this morning."

"Anytime," his gaze flickers over my face. "Let me know if I can take you again." He leaned closer. "You have something in your hair. Can I get it?"

My chest squeezed. "Yes please."