Chapter 21: Wolf's Out of the Bag

I dropped my new dress onto my bed and went to the bathroom. My neck stung with how much it itched. I lifted my chin and wiped away the foundation from my neck to expose the light bruising Zack left behind.  Everything was fine this morning with Zack, but I wanted an apology that I didn't have to ask for.  

I shook the irritation away. I would not be upset about anything right now. Mom and I had a great day and she was home tonight. Any problems Zack and I might have would be for tomorrow.  I hopped into the shower to clean the residue of the day away and changed into my turtleneck sweatshirt and shorts and ran downstairs to meet Mom who was also freshly showered, her hair knotted into a bun and two burrito bowls on the tv dinner stand in front of the couch.

"Movie or show tonight?" She asked, looking years younger than she had since last year.

"I'm kind of. In the mood for something stupid." I plopped onto the couch and curled against her side.

"Trash tv it is." She used her phone as a remote and pulled her bowl into her lap.

   Heavy, padded steps pattered just outside the door

Heavy, padded steps pattered just outside the door. The sound pulled me from my sleep. Mom leaned against me snoring, her empty bowl still on her lap. I took the bowl and stacked it on top of mine and slid off the couch. Mom sagged against the cushions. Her exhaustion hung heavy in the bags under her eyes. Asleep now her shoulders sagged, she seemed smaller. I hope the issues at the hospital cleared up soon. I missed her.

A low whimper sounded outside the door. Still half asleep, I tiptoed over to the door and peeked outside. A large dog lumbered off the steps.

"Hey," I whispered. "Are you lost?" I grabbed my sweater from the hook beside the door and wrapped it around myself before stepping outside. "Hey there big guy." The dog stopped and stood on its hind legs, long elongated fingers stretched from its hands and it glanced back at me. I waited for fear. For a chill. For something in my brain to tell me to run but those eyes, looking fiercely back at me were Ryan's

He closed his eyes and bolted down the street heading straight for the woods. I should have went back inside. I should have gotten Dwayne. I should have done anything but what I did. I chased him. My bare feet slapping against the concrete as he disappeared, so far ahead of me I had no chance of catching him. There was time to turn around, time to change my mind but my feet carried me after my stupid best friend.

I paused at the entrance of the trail we always walked through. Maybe my sense of self-preservation was finally kicking in. I took a step back and a deep guttural howl pierced through the woods. Half of me was ready to bolt. My legs already bracing to sprint as long and hard as I could the other way but that was not a warning howl, that was pain. I glanced behind me. I could still go, run back home and climb into bed and confront him tomorrow. Just tell him I know already and fix this, but my feet inched me forward before I could think anymore and I stepped into the trees and peered through the darkness.