10. happy birthday to you

Kuroo arrived early to chemistry class, hoping that Hana had arrived early, too. Conveniently, he had no practice tonight. So, he was going to stop by a jewelry store to buy your birthday gift before your surprise party.

You always wore both silver and gold, so he needed to ask Hana which one you would prefer.

Thankfully, Hana was in the classroom before you were, so he sat in the empty seat next to her. "Hey."

Hana put down the book she was reading and shifted her gaze to the messy-haired boy in front of her. "Hi? What do you want?"

"Look, so I was planning on getting Y/N a necklace for her birthday. I didn't know whether she wanted silver or gold, though."

"I'd probably go with gold." Hana opened hee book back up again, ignoring Kuroo.

So she definitely hates me, Kuroo thought to himself.

He took a seat back at his own lab table, and mere seconds later, you walked into the door. It was the first time he saw you since the day started, which was your birthday. You were wearing a more put together outfit than usual and your hair was styled in a certain way.

Kuroo liked seeing you a little more than he should've.

Kuroo rested his cheek in his palm as he looked up at you, grinning. You set your bag down underneath your seat. "Hey, birthday girl."

"Hey, Kuroo," you greeted. "What's with that look on your face?"

He chuckled, still looking up at you, dumbfounded by how pretty you looked. "Nothing. You just look pretty today, that's all."

Your cheeks burned and you tried to fight the grin growing on your cheeks. Kuroo always managed to say certain things that made your cheeks redden or made your heart beat faster.

You were not catching feelings, though. There was no way.

"Wanna stop by later today?" You asked before bringing your lips to his ear and lowering your voice. "I was hoping you could be my birthday present."

Kuroo couldn't help the grin that came upon his face. His smile was wiped off his face once he realized that people would be over at your house later today, so you couldn't get alone time together. "Of course. Anything for the birthday girl."

The whole day passed by quickly due to the adrenaline of it being your birthday. People from all your classes greeted you, and in some classes, they even sang for you. It was a good day so far and you couldn't wait to spend the rest of it with Kuroo.

You were kind of worried, though. You and Kuroo had been spending a lot of time together, recently, and have been acting more like friends. It was odd, but you liked it.

Meet me at my house in 20? you text him as you drive home from spring formal committee.

He texts you back with a winking emoji, making you concerned. What was he planning?

You pulled into your driveway, slinging your backpack over your shoulder and heading in through the garage. You set your bag down on the floor and walk through the hallway, into the dining room. You spot a cake, dead center of the table. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion when the lights suddenly turned on and 10 people jumped out and yell, 'Surprise!'

You smile so much that your mouth starts to hurt. You see familiar faces, everyone that you would possibly want to see on your special day. However, your eyes scan the room, looking for a certain boy with messy hair.

Sadly enough, he was no where to be found.

Your smile falters a little bit, until you hear quick footsteps and a voice that you immediately recognize. "Fuck, am I late?" the middle blocker asks.