Chapt. 12

Considering the violation of his privacy, Harlow had taken the offence in stride. Much to Waylon's surprise, things barely changed. If anything Harlow had made more of an effort to stay out of the others hair. Still something lingered in the air between the two, in silent looks and single sentence messages. Small things had changed, Harlow tagging on a 'thank you.' At the request of the others presence, even some monetary incentive here and there. Ten dollars left on his bedside, a twenty passed to him wordlessly. It was almost as if Harlow was tip toeing around the other.

Waylon knew to some extent why, he was enticing the potential snitch. The weight of the dollars far succeeded the material of their make. It was dirty money, dirty money that now—he benefitted from. Waylon was more than an ignorantly blackmailed victim, but an active participant. Each coffee he bought tasted far more bitter than the last.

Harlow had resumed his morning calls, smoking on the window sill while speaking a foreign tongue. Although now he was far softer in his speech, very solemnly did it wake Waylon from his sleep and when it did—it was time for him to wake regardless.  

Markus had noticed a shift in Waylon's behaviour, so did Jay. He didn't speak as much as he had previously, as the days dragged by slowly. He didn't answer the concerns and questions.

Time slowed to a snails pace until Saturday afternoon, when a knock sounded in the quite room. It was confusing because Harlow was in the room with him. Both of them on their phones, Harlow peaked around his head as if to say, 'Not for me' encouraging Waylon to check who was there. He stood from bed with a huff and cracked open the door and peered out into the hall. When he saw who stood opposite of himself he opened it fully.

It was Sasha. Stood slouched in his usual layers, but something lumpy under his jacket and shades pulled over his eyes. He kicked at Waylon's leg.

Waylon jumped back glaring, "Um, Ow?" He said more as a complaint than a question, he could hear Harlow snicker behind him, "What was that for? And why are you here?"

Sasha tilted his head, "Jay sent me to get you, it's the get together tonight remember?" He had completely forgotten, already dressed in his pjs for the night. He considered sending Sasha off but was enticed by the prospect of alcohol, which he assumed was disfiguring the shorters jacket at that moment.

"Damn tonight?" He threw a glance back at Harlow who seemed to be ignoring the two, "Alright, give me like five minutes!" He closed the door on Sasha who complained through it for him to hurry up. Waylon listened to the request, he threw on some jeans and a regular shirt—making sure to toss a jacket on as well as the cool breeze didn't seem promising.

He heard Harlow clear his throat and looked over, "Heading out?"

Waylon stood awkwardly now, "Yeah?" He spoke as if to say, 'am I allowed?' Even though he knew Harlow had no control over that decision. He wondered if he broke some unspoken rule between the two that he hadn't thought of before. Instead Harlow just nodded in approval.

"Stay safe." He said curtly, looking back down at his phone.

Waylon, flustered now, ushered out a thanks and left the room.

The dorm was packed, he realised why this one had been chosen. It had a junction bathroom which connected to the neighbouring dorm allowing for far more room. Students twisted their bodies to squeeze through the small gaps of space. Music played from a single speaker, seeing that someone—with half lidded red eyes, appeared to be DJ for the night. If any staff noticed what was taking place they said nothing.

For the most part people weren't too loud, discreet with their sips from oddly coloured water bottles that definitely didn't have water in them. Someone, Waylon had no clue who, had passed him one. He cringed taking a sip realising it was tequila and pineapple juice. Mostly tequila. His eye twitched as he drank it down.