Chapt 10.

A/N: sorry for format change, working on some stuff.—Hawk

The next couple of weeks followed in a blur. The duo seemed to melt into a routine, they'd ignore each other most of the week and on weekends get together. They'd do their task with little communication, sneaking off to different storage areas. They'd collect whatever the duo could get their hands on and split up before meeting back at their room.

Before he'd registered it, Waylon had spent over a month in the facility. All without any more interactions from Kian, much to his delight. He'd grown a like to the routine as well, in a strange way it created some stability in his life. When he wasn't with Harlow, he hung out with his friends. Markus was always patient with him and the two had grown closer.

A more unusual development was how close he got with Jay as well. In his old school a guy like Jay wouldn't have bothered speaking with him, but here? Here they had common ground. Mostly over smoking weed. When they had the chance, the two would skip history and share a joint by the bins. Initially they had tried to convince Sasha to join, but the boy was dedicated to his studies.

Jay had told him Sasha actually had pretty big goals for himself, he wanted to be a lot of things. Mostly whatever would make him the highest pay. Jay spoke about Sasha with enthusiasm when he had the chance, convinced that boy could change the world if he wanted to. When that wasn't the topic of conversation the two would go on about life.

They had a lot of common ground when it came down to it, both of them having no idea what they wanted to do with their life.

"Honestly I didn't think I'd be around this long." Waylon had shared quite vulnerably one afternoon.

Jay took a drag while nodding, "Shit man, really?"

"Yeah," Waylon felt his cheeks tinge pink, "I mean I wouldn't tell Markus this, so don't either. But I was sort of self destructing before I got here."

Jay hummed in understanding, "That's tough, I was kinda the same but just more of a messer. Was with some bad dudes before I wound up here." He passed Waylon the blunt, who took a deep drag.

"Can I pry?" He questioned, which prompted Jay to fix his posture in preparation, "How'd you end up here?"

Jay smiled a shit eating grin, "Stole some shit."

"No way, like what?" Waylon was invested instantly, it seemed with Jay he could dip his toes back into old habits. He could spew drama, talk shit and satisfy his urge for rebellion.

Jay ran his hands over his braids, "I stole a couple hundred from my dad. We were arguing and I took his card, just bought anything in my vicinity."

Waylon laughed, "Oh my god? A couple hundred, that doesn't seem too bad if I'm honest." Yeah it was bad, but he didn't think his own parents would send him away for something like that. Waylon's mom would probably just ignore him for a month or have him stay with a cousin. His dad would do about the same if not for a longer period.

Jay shrugged, "Yeah, we'll the fucker took me to court," he took a drag, "he wanted me in juvie but courts were forgiving since I'd just turned fifteen at the time, so I wound up here."

There was still an air of humour, but that vulnerability hadn't left. Waylon could tell on some level Jay was hurt, deep down. He imagined whatever argument had sparked such a reaction couldn't have been light.