Chapter 1

-New( 2021 Rewrite)-

As a young child, your family always said you made the best out of even the worst situations, that it was the way you looked at the world that allowed you to be happy even when the things around you were glum.

When you were five years old your father had insisted that you learn to ride a bike with the training wheels off, every time you fell and scraped your hands and knees you were back up smiling and giggling even before your father could even run over to check if you were ok. You made your parents proud by being tough then, even gave you a life lesson on "picking yourself up when you were down".

At 12 you had lit your first fire. You found the matchbook in a box up on the top shelf in a closet labelled "emergency". It was there with plain white candles and extra batteries for the bright yellow flashlights that your mother insisted be dotted around the house where she said "one wouldn't want to be caught without light.

When you tore the match from the book and quickly dragged it across the sandpaper on the back there was a sizzle, the orange flame quickly engulfed the match head, charing it. The flame flicked from your breath as you pulled it closer to your face, your eyes wide from the beauty of it.

The match quickly burned down to your fingers, you dropped it to the floor and it burnt out. You pocketed the matchbook and put everything back in place before your parents would see what you had found.

Seven years later, while packing to head to 2fort you found the matches at the bottom of your drawer alongside an old teddy that had half been burnt, from an attempt to see if the flames made it prettier, at first it would have seemed so but when reality set in and the face of the bear began to melt, the plastic nose dripping to the floor, you realized what you had done and smother the flames out.

The matchbook now only had a few left. You stopped using the matches when one fall a storm had hit and the power went out. Mother quickly grabbed the flashlight she kept on the end table by the sofa and made her way to the box of emergency supplies in the closet to discover the matches had gone missing. She ended up replacing the matches with a lighter that you took and have been using instead of the matches.

You pocketed the matchbook as you were completing a final look over your old room, everything looked pretty much the same. Nothing personal was coming with you and you didn't want your parents to really know this was more than just a job opportunity that you would be travelling for.

Your father dropped you off at the bus station, your mother had been a mess all-day and decided not to come.

Sitting in your family car with you father and the almost completely empty bus stop he turned to you and said "I know where you are really going, I found scraps of the letter in the burn barrel."

You instantly scrambled for something to say anything to somehow cover it up or even make it a lie about the true job.

"But I know you will do it anyway. You always were a tough kid and I think it's fitting." You were still unsure, your only response being "please don't tell Mom."

He let out a chuckle " Well, since she would have both of our heads at this point, Just promise to write and visit as often as often as you can, for both of us." you reached over and gave him a tight hug. "I promise." The sound of the bus rumbling up the road could be overheard in the quiet vehicle. "I have to go now, I love you." With one last tight squeeze you hopped out of the car and made your way to the bus that was just pulling up.

-Five years later-

"WAKE UP MAGGOTS!" You were woken up by soldiers yelling.

You rolled over to look at the clock on the wall, taking a moment to focus your droopy tired eyes, 6:00am.

You rolled out of bed quickly putting the sheets back in place, you got up to look in the mirror above your dresser, quickly cleaned yourself up, running a brush through your hair and rushing to the large flame proof suit laid out neatly on top of the dresser.

Standing in front of your mirror adjusting the suit. The thick material hides anything about your figure. Finally slipping on the final piece to your outfit, the mask.

________________________________________________________________________________

-Old (2015 Original)-

"Girls aren't meant for war." That is what your father told you. Now 5 years later you still hid the fact you are a woman.

"WAKE UP MAGGOTS!" You where woken up by solders yelling.
You rolled over to look at the clock on the wall, taking a moment to focus you droopy eyes, 6:00am.
You rolled out of bed with your (f/c) blanket over your shoulders, you look in the mirror to see your (h/l) (h/c) all in tangles, quickly running a brush through and rushing to the large flame proof suit laid out neatly on your dresser.
Standing in you mirror adjusting the suit to making sure your feminine figure wasn't shown. And finally slipping on the final peace to your outfit, the mask.