Chapter thirteen- Mirabella

Începe de la început

In that moment, I hated myself more than I have ever done and it pained me to the core.

Matteo pushed open the door and froze when he saw me standing on the other side. He remained silent while his eyes did all the talking. His eyes were heavy on mine and mine on his as we continued looking at each other in utter disgust.

"Get to your room Bella and stop wandering about like a mad fucking woman. We don't need you stumbling into places you're not needed," Matteo's voice stern as he walked away from me.

That was the last I heard from him and three days later, he still hasn't come home.

I pick up my burner phone and dial Ares. "Jesus fucking Christ Mirabella!" Ares's voice echoes loudly and I chuckle. Always so fucking dramatic.

"You'll get us killed at this point," he snickers and I heave out a sigh.

"I have ten years worth of supplies ready, what seems to be the problem sweetheart." I match Ares's playful tone and he mirrors my sigh.

"Your father?" Ares asks in a whisper and I hum. The line goes silent for a minute and he tsks, "we should take the deal."

"Ares," I warn.

"What? We need the money and the connections. How else are we supposed to keep ourselves safe if we don't do this!" He yells.

"Getting into business with them will get us into more trouble!"

"We're already in business with them, only we're not exclusive just yet. How long do you think it'd take before their patience runs out? Do you think we have a say in this? Come on Mirabella, we're already one leg in, why don't we just go all the way." Ares sighs.

"That's your greed speaking," I counter. Ares huffs and laughs slightly. A humorless laugh. "You think me a greedy person? You should look at you for a second Mirabella."

We both go silent for one minute, two? Five perhaps before we burst into laughter. "Jesus Christ, I was about to throw hands but I realized you're not wrong. We're both fucking greedy! But there should be a limit, no?" I chuckle.

"I know. But the moment those men pitched their business idea to us, we lost every right to say no. We're nothing for now but we can become something if we chose to and this is an opportunity. An opportunity we should take now that we can do so on our own terms," Ares whispers slightly and I hum.

I completely understand what he's saying but I find it extremely difficult; making deals with men like that.

Hypocritical much. I already made a deal once and I wonder why this is so difficult for me to come to terms with.

"Shall we give it time? Just a little time."

Ares hums, "I just realized Mirabella, you never call from the burner except the situation is bad. Tell me what is going on with you and that psycho father of yours."

I begin narrating every single thing that has occurred so far to Ares and he makes sure to listen carefully. One of the qualities I appreciate the most about him; such a great listener.

"Let me get this straight, you've been buried alive, drowned, flogged, locked up and pushed out in the freezing cold and you've had to endure because your father wants to become the Don?"

"Bingo! Smarty pants."

Ares giggles, "your life has suddenly become interesting. I'm so jealous."

This man is insane and I wonder how we've been able to remain friends this long. "Ares," I warn.

"What?"

"I need your help. Matteo is planning on doing more damage to me and I'm in desperate need of a way out."