TWENTY-ONE. forrest gump

"DEMETRI, CAN you hurry? These books are heavy

"DEMETRI, CAN you hurry? These books are heavy."

"I'm the one suffering a broken arm, not you."

"No one asked you to carry three pounds of textbooks."

"I need to have the detention look like pennies when I apply to colleges." He sighed, trying to rummage through his locker, "I can't believe that Eli just—"

Rory looked past Demetri and looked over at the small crowd of people gathering around before the disappeared and Miguel made their way towards the duo.

"Holy shit! You're walking Forrest Gump!" She smiled, placing Demetri's things on the ground and pulling Miguel into a hug.

He embraced the girl. He knew nothing of her being in the hospital and nothing of her scar, until now.

She smiled as the boy pulled away, but the smile he once had slowly disappeared when he brushed the hair out of Rory's face.

"What happened to you?"

Rory cleared her throat and stepped back and Demetri stepped forward.

"Tory sliced her face like it was cold turkey." He said, "I could only hope to make a triumphant return like the both of you." Waving his cast in the air.

"What's up with the cast?" Miguel asked.

"Proximal radius fracture."

"It smells." Yasmine said, approaching the group.

"I put a lemon rind down there to mitigate that." He said, pulling a sharpie from his pocket, "The invitation for you to sign it still stands."

Yasmine scoffed, "Hard pass. At least when you used to be a thorn in my tits, you were getting me an A in science. Now you can't even do that because you're defective."

Yasmine gave the trio one last look before leaving them alone once more.

"So, uh... how'd you break your arm?" Miguel asked.

Demetri looked down at Rory before they looked back over at Miguel.

"We've got a lot to catch up on." Demetri sighed.