Fifty: Missing In Action

A Month and a Half Later - July 1989

I sighed out of boredom, as I placed a handful of popcorn into my mouth. Over the past few weeks, I'd been confined to bed rest. Basically overnight, my feet had worsened when it came to the swelling, and my blood pressure was higher than normal. As a result, Doctor Stevenson immediately recommended bed rest until the arrival of the baby.

It was no surprise that Michael was one hundred percent behind this. I immediately became a grouch, not liking the thought of doing absolutely nothing for the duration of my pregnancy. But I had to suck it up knowing that it was the best thing for both me, and our baby.

While I felt like I was missing out on basically everything, I had to admit this gave me a great opportunity to enjoy doing nothing. All I've done was watch my favorite shows and movies. In some of my other spare time, I thought of potential baby names.

With me being due in two weeks, I was embarrassed to admit that we hadn't come up with a single name. Everyone had planned on flying out within the next week. They didn't want to risk coming anytime later than that, but still had things to do, which prevented them from being here now. So they wanted to make sure they had everything taken care of.

Right before being put on bed rest, I told Michael that I was completely fine with staying here in California. Paris would always be there, and we had plenty of time to visit. And it worked out perfectly since we already had everything set up and prepared here for the birth, months in advance. Not to mention we didn't have to worry about living accommodations for everyone.

I'd received multiple calls from everyone daily, spanning from them checking on me, to just casual conversation. I figured I would be receiving calls everyday until everyone arrived. I was indeed very grateful for all of the attention, because I had been experiencing moments where I was hit with waves of loneliness.

Michael had been quite absent these past few weeks, with him constantly being in the studio. That damn Decade album had consumed all of his time. He was basically living in the fucking studio, and I was beyond pissed. It was very surprising, because he had managed to divide his time equally in the past.

I feel foolish to admit that some nights, he didn't even come to bed. What kind of shit is that? I was lucky to even receive a check in call from him. His behavior lately had been very much unbelievable. And there was nothing in this world he could possibly say to me, to make this shit sound good.

At first, it was interesting to see Michael in his element, going through his creative process. But if I'd known that meant I'd see him less and less, I would've did all I could to put my foot down. I've bit my tongue, and danced around the topic, because the last thing we needed was a fight now of all times.

I wanted nothing more than to put his head through a fucking wall. The only thing that's truly holding me back from confrontation, is this baby. The only thoughts that constantly ran through my mind, was how stupid and insensitive could he be? And at a time like this.

His ass was front and center for the bed rest protest, but has yet to actually be in this bed with me. And it was even more humorous, being that I'm no longer inside of the main house. With us converting one of the cabins, this has become my permanent residence for the time being, from the moment I was ordered to bed rest.

I was immediately broken out of my line of thinking, experiencing one of the worst feelings possible. "Mmm." I groaned, feeling a sharp pain in my stomach. Placing my hand on the area, I gently rubbed it. "Oh," I jerked, after feeling another pain shoot simultaneously through my stomach and back.

I held onto my belly, immediately rubbing it gently. I knew this pain was temporary, but that didn't stop it from hurting like hell in the moment. I had my eyes closed, as I let out an exhausting sigh. There was a knock at the door, but I didn't bother even opening my eyes.